Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM
T.A.
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry Ford the 8th
I can't comment on the DVD system or the remote start because they don't fit my needs. But having served 40 years as a general mechanic, I have repaired countless air suspension systems on many brands of vehicle. The common thread is always leaks and deteriorated/rotted rubber air bags, failed pumps, etc. After a few years they quit working and start costing $$. I own several Ford vehicles and am a firm believer in their engineering, but the laws of physics will catch up to them, too. It is the nature of any system under pressure that the pressure will eventually leak out. Land Rovers can be retrofitted with a kit of 4 coil springs and a jumper wire to turn off the warning lights for a couple grand from an outfit called Black Dog Engineering. Don't know if anyone makes such a kit for the Ford, but they probably will someday. There is a 1949 Chevrolet 2dr notchback sedan rusting in the forest below my house, and the coil springs on it are quite functional today. Contemplate that.
On the plus side, LLS lets you fill the truck with eight people and their luggage without dragging the bottom, and when empty it will not feel as stiff as a lumber truck. Optimized ride height and spring rate for all conditions. How long do you anticipate owning the truck? You might enjoy the system for six or eight years, then sell it off while it is still working, so...
Strutmasters does make a conversion kit. I'll definitely be investigating this if/when I have issues with the air suspension on my 07.

Ford Expedition Air Suspension Conversion Kit (-XN44-3-4-FE) | Strutmasters.com