2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

NEW EXPY SHOPPING - OPTIONS QUESTIONS (LOAD LEVEL SUSP AND REMOTE START)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM
2005X
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW EXPY SHOPPING - OPTIONS QUESTIONS (LOAD LEVEL SUSP AND REMOTE START)

Thought I had a deal worked out on a used model, but not not sure as it was FSBO and he may not make his payoff to sell to me, ughh..

Anyway, back to looking at a couple new options and would like some feedback if possible from thos that have thes "factory" or dealer options:

1) Load Levelling Suspension - most have it but one i would be very interested in if going new does not. The dealer tells me for what I would be towing (4500 lbs boat) and daily driving, I won't miss it at all. And, if it is one more thing to NOT go wrong around 100k miles, makes me happy. Does it change the way the Expy handles is "normal" use or only going to kick in if loaded heavily? Just so happens that when I tow, we also haul more junk in the back, but only happens couple times per year.

2) Power Code Remote Starte - this is the factory (or guessing dealer installed option) and the price is nice at $345 on the sticker/retail when equipped. Not sure if dealer chages more to install later or not. Question is, does it work well, at least 2000 - 2500 feet away? Of ir not, am I better off going with an aftermarket / Viper type system anyway (usually around $500-600 installed?

3) Rear Seat Ent/DVD system - dealers seem to install the headrest variety, not sure if they will isntall the ceiling mount or not aftermarket? Headreast is okay, although 3rd row passengers can't see to well if behind the other seats. Wonderig if people are liking thesee "Nvision" headrest players (can play independent or send one moving to both screens from what I understand) or am I better off using a reputable aftermarket company with good reputation? The headrest set retail/sticker is $1995 - not sure how that compares with aftermarket pricing and quality?

Thanks for any help/input if available.
geoff.

Last edited by 2005X; 01-04-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added DVD question
Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
I specifically searched for NO LLS. To many problems down the road and it's not one of those options you can just decide not to use ( like power fold mirrors ) Also, the tow rating is the same with or without LLS.

I think the convenience of the factory installed remote start is no additional key fob. CodeAlarm makes the factory ones. Others might say go aftermarket but I prefer the factory stuff = warrantied thru Ford.

The ceiling mounted factory RSE units aren't available anymore, only the headrest ones. My 08 Limited has the factory ceiling mount one and I'm able to control it from the NAV unit up front, something the headrest ones can't do.

HTH,
Matt

Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Henry Ford the 8th
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some thoughts about air springs

I can't comment on the DVD system or the remote start because they don't fit my needs. But having served 40 years as a general mechanic, I have repaired countless air suspension systems on many brands of vehicle. The common thread is always leaks and deteriorated/rotted rubber air bags, failed pumps, etc. After a few years they quit working and start costing $$. I own several Ford vehicles and am a firm believer in their engineering, but the laws of physics will catch up to them, too. It is the nature of any system under pressure that the pressure will eventually leak out. Land Rovers can be retrofitted with a kit of 4 coil springs and a jumper wire to turn off the warning lights for a couple grand from an outfit called Black Dog Engineering. Don't know if anyone makes such a kit for the Ford, but they probably will someday. There is a 1949 Chevrolet 2dr notchback sedan rusting in the forest below my house, and the coil springs on it are quite functional today. Contemplate that.
On the plus side, LLS lets you fill the truck with eight people and their luggage without dragging the bottom, and when empty it will not feel as stiff as a lumber truck. Optimized ride height and spring rate for all conditions. How long do you anticipate owning the truck? You might enjoy the system for six or eight years, then sell it off while it is still working, so...

Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM
T.A.
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Henry Ford the 8th
I can't comment on the DVD system or the remote start because they don't fit my needs. But having served 40 years as a general mechanic, I have repaired countless air suspension systems on many brands of vehicle. The common thread is always leaks and deteriorated/rotted rubber air bags, failed pumps, etc. After a few years they quit working and start costing $$. I own several Ford vehicles and am a firm believer in their engineering, but the laws of physics will catch up to them, too. It is the nature of any system under pressure that the pressure will eventually leak out. Land Rovers can be retrofitted with a kit of 4 coil springs and a jumper wire to turn off the warning lights for a couple grand from an outfit called Black Dog Engineering. Don't know if anyone makes such a kit for the Ford, but they probably will someday. There is a 1949 Chevrolet 2dr notchback sedan rusting in the forest below my house, and the coil springs on it are quite functional today. Contemplate that.
On the plus side, LLS lets you fill the truck with eight people and their luggage without dragging the bottom, and when empty it will not feel as stiff as a lumber truck. Optimized ride height and spring rate for all conditions. How long do you anticipate owning the truck? You might enjoy the system for six or eight years, then sell it off while it is still working, so...
Strutmasters does make a conversion kit. I'll definitely be investigating this if/when I have issues with the air suspension on my 07.

Ford Expedition Air Suspension Conversion Kit (-XN44-3-4-FE) | Strutmasters.com

Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM
airjeff
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned some vehicles with LLS and love it. No matter how much stuff you put in the back end and how much you put in the trailer you ride level. When I was deciding Excursion vs Expedition the LLS was something I wanted. I'm in the process of adding aftermarket LLS to my Excursion for the reasons above. Load in my family of six and all our gear and it's starting to sag. In the end it depends on how you are going to use your vehicle, if you have no use for LLS then don't bother, just one more thing to fix. Or you could get it with the knowledge that if it seemed like a waste you could just put in a LLS delete kit when the time came.