View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by MadDogHauling
Truck Dog, why cant the people that know what their talking about ever have good news! hahah.

Is there any reason that I shouldnt keep using those? other than the fact that I cant find any rims to mount a spare. Smaller wheels would make it slower and less efficient, so long term if its feasible id like to get the bigger wheels i guess.

So it should actually have 17.5 x 5.25? Ill call around to the local salvage ops and see if they have any and Ill scrounge through the junk piles.

I'll repeat this, shipping is not an option, it would cost hundreds of dollars per rim to get them here. I would have to replace all of them if I was going to change to the larger size, and I dont know about you, but I dont have a couple grand kicking around let alone a couple hundred bucks. If I cant find it local, for cheap or free, I'll run without spares.
Yours look like the better style of two part wheels (there's some good news). We commonly call them "lock ring" style. You'll see a separate ring on the face side of each wheel. But just in case I'm not seeing things right in your picture I'll post a picture below of a cross section of the really bad kind of two part wheel that's called a "widow maker". Them you don't want to find, and if you have any you'll really want to be rid of them.

In your yard searches you don't need to restrict yourself to Fords. Both the 16" and 17.5" wheels were also used by Dodge, IHC, and Studebaker in addition to Ford. Stu