View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darknight
I almost went for a PS 7.3 for the mileage claims.. It really will NOT be cheaper to do it unless you will be doing lots and LOTS OF HEAVY TOWING. I work in the auto industry light mechanic-ing while attending the local college here and have seen many many $1k plus repair bills on diesels. Believe me I have the diesel bug, but it won't be cheaper unless you are using it to make money.
That 460 in your truck is an awesome motor. It may get 10 mpg empty, but it also gets 10 mpg towing. They are reliable and stout. My dad has a 460 in his truck, and has seen 8 mpg towing.. but that was a 26 ft camper fully loaded.. and hilly.. and going 75mph the ENTIRE time. when we towed the same camper with a f150 and 4.6 v8, it got 6 mpg while trying to reach 60 mph downhill! haha!
If you have money to spend, what the hell! Go for it! Diesels are sweet, but prob wont save money unless you are making money with it-best advice ever given to me (about diesels.. )
I'm considering switching from my 01 f150 with the 5.4 to a 97 f350 with 7.3 I found. Your argument is interesting as I have mulled this over and over. The cost of an oil change is much higher on the diesels and the fuel more expensive. BUT, the 5.4 has 257k and is burning some oil, with numerous other repairs having been addressed over the last 3 years. The 7.3 is supposed to be bullet proof and last 500k - so how would that factor into a comparison of gas to diesel? In the end, its a crap shoot in many ways as sometimes mechanical things just break - no guarantees gas or diesel is going to last. But if the "average" diesel lasts twice as long as the "average" gasser, then that should be factored into the analysis.