Thread: No high beams
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 PM
stemo76
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what I was looking for, these are great troubleshooting steps. this weekend I will take a look. I have a decent test light and multi meter. I will also try the column tilt while the high beams are on to see if they flicker. If they do then I know where my issue lies. I am the only driver so the wheel never gets adjusted but who knows, I haven't been the only owner.

Originally Posted by 1fixitman
The markers and low beams are powered from a seperate fuse. The low beams EACH have a 10 amp fuse. That is correct. A 10 amp fuse for each low beam numbered 21 and 23. Fuse 15 goes to the fog lamp relay and is 5 amps. The High beams, both of them and the hi beam indicator come off of a single 15 amp fuse. The book indicates fuse number 16 but I would consult your owners manual. I will check and see if I have a manual when there is daylight. The multi-function switch passes the signal for low and high beam at the same junction. There is a possibility that the power cable coming into the switch is grounded. The dark blue/orange wire coming into the high/low beam switch is the power wire for the high beams and passes thru to a Grey/Orange wire to the fuse. After the fuse it changes to a Light Green/Black wire which goes directly to the high beams split on each side.

Check the wires and lamps for each high beam. It is likely some water got in the lamp wires and popped the 15 amp fuse to the high beams. Find the fuse for the high beams and check it. If it is blown then you need a multi meter to see if the system is grounded and to check which high beam might be a problem if any.
If you can not operate a meter then start looking for the blown fuse and trace the wires from the lights back as far as you can for nicks in wires or a possible melted wire. It probably will not be that easy to just replace a fuse.
Dwayne