Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Senior User

stemo76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000160923877 whatusaytome http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephenemorrison cornholio0076
No high beams

So I have noticed that I no longer have high beams headlights. When I pull the stick back nothing happens. When I push the stick forward I get no lights. The blue high beam indicator does not come on either.

Any ideas? Sounds more like the headlight switch in the dash or the combo unit on the column?
Early 99 PSD Dually Crew 4x4. Super lift leveling kit - R4 tech rear auto leveling bag kit - Converted to late Turbo and intake - Banks exhaust with power elbow - S&B Air Intake - Swamps HP IDM - Banks TransCommander - Triple Gauge pillar with Autometer gauges - Column mounted HPOP gauge - F650 Dash kit with fuel pressure guage - DieselSite fuel CPR system - DieselSite Adrenaline HPOP - FS2500 bypass oil filter - DP-Tuner custom tuning - 19.5 Vision Wheels (Not Recommended)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Posting Guru

crop harvester has a good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a good reputation on FTE.
not a expert on that circuit,but start process of illimination,by using a test lite or multimeter ,and check for power on highbeams at plugin at head lamp,try doing a search for more info here, should find a wiring schematic, and othe similar repairs.or wait for more knowledgible help.
01 F350 PSD LARIAT CC SB SRW 4X4 4R100 218K 373 GEARS,265/75R16 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY,HUTCH&HARPOON,PREPUMP FUEL FILTER,4" EXHAUST,AIS, COOLANT FILTER,[ ISSPRO PERFORMAX GAUGES TRANY,BOOST,EGT ] AIRBAGS,STABLE LOADS,SUPER HITCH,RS9000 SHOCKS,ODDESSY BATTERIES,NIPPON G-REDUCTION STARTER,PARTS ON BENCH FRX,HPX.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Senior User

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000160923877 whatusaytome http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephenemorrison cornholio0076
The headlight switch and the combo switch are both about 80.00. The headlight switch is pretty easy to change, not sure about the combo switch. Was just hoping to find someone else that has already done the troubleshooting. I am leaning towards the combo switch since the markers dash and low beams work without any issues.
Early 99 PSD Dually Crew 4x4. Super lift leveling kit - R4 tech rear auto leveling bag kit - Converted to late Turbo and intake - Banks exhaust with power elbow - S&B Air Intake - Swamps HP IDM - Banks TransCommander - Triple Gauge pillar with Autometer gauges - Column mounted HPOP gauge - F650 Dash kit with fuel pressure guage - DieselSite fuel CPR system - DieselSite Adrenaline HPOP - FS2500 bypass oil filter - DP-Tuner custom tuning - 19.5 Vision Wheels (Not Recommended)
Old 10-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Senior User

Cmedic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Cmedic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm not positive on the fords but I do know I had a similar problem on a Chevy truck with the multifunction switch. On mine the wires out of the switch had broke in the column. It was very obvious what had happen once I got in to the column. It might be a good starting point. Have you tried to get high beams while adjusting the tilt steering up and down.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Elder User

1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Dwayne Dotson
The markers and low beams are powered from a seperate fuse. The low beams EACH have a 10 amp fuse. That is correct. A 10 amp fuse for each low beam numbered 21 and 23. Fuse 15 goes to the fog lamp relay and is 5 amps. The High beams, both of them and the hi beam indicator come off of a single 15 amp fuse. The book indicates fuse number 16 but I would consult your owners manual. I will check and see if I have a manual when there is daylight. The multi-function switch passes the signal for low and high beam at the same junction. There is a possibility that the power cable coming into the switch is grounded. The dark blue/orange wire coming into the high/low beam switch is the power wire for the high beams and passes thru to a Grey/Orange wire to the fuse. After the fuse it changes to a Light Green/Black wire which goes directly to the high beams split on each side.

Check the wires and lamps for each high beam. It is likely some water got in the lamp wires and popped the 15 amp fuse to the high beams. Find the fuse for the high beams and check it. If it is blown then you need a multi meter to see if the system is grounded and to check which high beam might be a problem if any.
If you can not operate a meter then start looking for the blown fuse and trace the wires from the lights back as far as you can for nicks in wires or a possible melted wire. It probably will not be that easy to just replace a fuse.
Dwayne
Dwayne Early 1999 F250 2WD Extended cab. 190k B.E.S.T. Map CCV re-route, 50 cent mod, EBPV delete w/ blank pedestal, Resistor installed, 6637 filter w/pete's cover, Used 38R and Intl Up pipes(thanks for the great deal and getting that clamp back on...Jason), billet Plenums, new boots and clamps, AE, Stancor style GPR $38 http://www.aerialequipmentparts.com/...586-105111.htm. Window tint, Hutch and Harpoon mod, Parts on bench: HPOP re-seal kit, ICP, IPR, CPS, FRx, 4 way heater hose valve for cold AC mod, .
Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Senior User

This is what I was looking for, these are great troubleshooting steps. this weekend I will take a look. I have a decent test light and multi meter. I will also try the column tilt while the high beams are on to see if they flicker. If they do then I know where my issue lies. I am the only driver so the wheel never gets adjusted but who knows, I haven't been the only owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fixitman View Post
The markers and low beams are powered from a seperate fuse. The low beams EACH have a 10 amp fuse. That is correct. A 10 amp fuse for each low beam numbered 21 and 23. Fuse 15 goes to the fog lamp relay and is 5 amps. The High beams, both of them and the hi beam indicator come off of a single 15 amp fuse. The book indicates fuse number 16 but I would consult your owners manual. I will check and see if I have a manual when there is daylight. The multi-function switch passes the signal for low and high beam at the same junction. There is a possibility that the power cable coming into the switch is grounded. The dark blue/orange wire coming into the high/low beam switch is the power wire for the high beams and passes thru to a Grey/Orange wire to the fuse. After the fuse it changes to a Light Green/Black wire which goes directly to the high beams split on each side.

Check the wires and lamps for each high beam. It is likely some water got in the lamp wires and popped the 15 amp fuse to the high beams. Find the fuse for the high beams and check it. If it is blown then you need a multi meter to see if the system is grounded and to check which high beam might be a problem if any.
If you can not operate a meter then start looking for the blown fuse and trace the wires from the lights back as far as you can for nicks in wires or a possible melted wire. It probably will not be that easy to just replace a fuse.
Dwayne
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Posting Guru

thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.thomabb has a great reputation on FTE.
Do your fog lights quit when you push the stick forward? Power through the high beam indicator circuit kills the ground for the fog lights. If you fog lights stay on when you push the stick forward, you probably have a blown fuse.

'02 F250 7.3 Auto Extended Cab Long Box 225+k Miles No Mods
Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Senior User

My truck didn't come with fog lights installed or possibly they where removed. It was once a snow plow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomabb View Post
Do your fog lights quit when you push the stick forward? Power through the high beam indicator circuit kills the ground for the fog lights. If you fog lights stay on when you push the stick forward, you probably have a blown fuse.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Senior User

Diagnosis is complete. I saved 80 bucks by not having to by a combo switch but looks like I have another reason to buy a fuse box. Had to bend the fuse tab just a bit to get a better contact with the fuse box. This happened as well with my dome light and now I can't get it connect at all.

thanks for the help. I have hi beams again, at least for a while.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 PM