Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas
Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Remote fill / reservoir for master cylinder

Back when I was rebuilding the chassis and the cab was off I replaced the master cylinder with a dual reservoir, power unit from CPP. I had also bought (but not yet installed) the remote fill kit after reading on FTE how access is difficult. I left the rebuilt brake system dry while my build slowly moved ahead. I'm at the point where the truck can move under it's own power while I'm behind the wheel sitting on a milk crate but I'll need brakes!
Yesterday I went to install the remote fill kit so I could put fluid in the system for the first time. I'm having second thoughts. The plastic reservoir and rather large clear tubing will look kind of out of place on the firewall. I'm thinking maybe I should just live with the pain in the a** fill from underneath.
ANYWAY, my question is, how do I bench bleed the master cylinder if I go with the remote setup? I have the bleeder kit. I will:
1. Take the brake lines off the master cylinder and install the temp plastic fittings and tubing. Direct the plastic tubing back to the MC fill.
2. Add fluid to the MC.
3. Slowly pump the pedal to recirculate it through the MC until there are no air bubbles.
4. Reinstall the permanent brake lines and bleed the wheel cylinders.

Do I go through this process on the bare MC or should the remote fill/reservoir be in place during the process?