Thread: 49 Ford F1
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
49 Ford F1

Hello everyone. Im about to come into possession of a 1949 ford f1. Its in fairly rough shape but i really didnt pay all that much for it. Here are some pictures.

I have a fairly long plan of what i want to do. This is going to be a long project, ill spend money as it comes in. Plus ill be starting college in about two weeks so i dont know how much time ill have to work on it. Anyway here are my plans.

suspension:

Im planning on putting in a mustang 2 cross member in the front and putting a triangulated four link in the back. Im thinking of going air ride but i havent decided on that yet.

Engine:

My plan was to do a 460 but the guy im getting the truck from also has a 429 from a 71 galaxie station wagon that he will give me for free so ill probably take hime up on that. Plus its only 200 bucks to get a 460 crank. Im looking to be in the 400 to 500 hp range on that. For the transmission i was looking at some tremec tko 500 or 600 five speed.

Paint: now as you can see the body is in rough shape. There is a lot of pitting from the cab forward. But if i can get the panels smoothed out i would like to do a paint job along the lines of these.

But if i find that i cant get the body straightened out i might try one of those faux tina paint jobs like they did to the project classsix on Trucks.

Ill try and keep you guys posted on my progress. The first thing im gonna do when i get the truck this week is start fixing and patching the body.

Any Advice you guys can add would be great! thanks.