Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Elder User

Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
49 Ford F1

Hello everyone. Im about to come into possession of a 1949 ford f1. Its in fairly rough shape but i really didnt pay all that much for it. Here are some pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have a fairly long plan of what i want to do. This is going to be a long project, ill spend money as it comes in. Plus ill be starting college in about two weeks so i dont know how much time ill have to work on it. Anyway here are my plans.

suspension:

Im planning on putting in a mustang 2 cross member in the front and putting a triangulated four link in the back. Im thinking of going air ride but i havent decided on that yet.

Engine:

My plan was to do a 460 but the guy im getting the truck from also has a 429 from a 71 galaxie station wagon that he will give me for free so ill probably take hime up on that. Plus its only 200 bucks to get a 460 crank. Im looking to be in the 400 to 500 hp range on that. For the transmission i was looking at some tremec tko 500 or 600 five speed.

Paint: now as you can see the body is in rough shape. There is a lot of pitting from the cab forward. But if i can get the panels smoothed out i would like to do a paint job along the lines of these.

Photobucket

Photobucket

But if i find that i cant get the body straightened out i might try one of those faux tina paint jobs like they did to the project classsix on Trucks.

Ill try and keep you guys posted on my progress. The first thing im gonna do when i get the truck this week is start fixing and patching the body.

Any Advice you guys can add would be great! thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Posting Legend

preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
Looks like a good start to a cool project!

A good fist fight never hurts anyone... except my opponent.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Elder User

49f3dls is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.49f3dls is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had a Mustang front end on my 49 F3 it was OK but not great- switching to a Jag front end that pretty much bolts to these trucks as the frame is same width. Some have even use the Jag rear end. Donor cars are not expensive and out there just get the correct model- suggest you read JEFF & NICOLE thread also HAMB has a few good write ups as they have been doing this convert down under for some time. The best advice I got was get everything from the JAG- all the rubber (even mounted to frame) hoses, steering column up to and including the knuckle under the dash. You end up with a good suspension and 4 wheel disk (4 pod) so you have plenty to stop the power you will be running. I'm new to the forum but really have gotten a lot from it- these guys are great and very helpful. Keep asking and I am sure you will get good info to help you make decisions. Have fun Dave S
Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Junior User

StylEmon is starting off with a positive reputation.
looks similar to mine. you have a more complete truck and I have far less rust...

Together we might have one bad *** truck
Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Signing on to follow this build. Is there an engine in it now?

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Elder User

Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
No engine in it now. The guy im getting it from said at some point someone put a chevy motor and tranny it but he got it with no motor. The chevy tranny is still in it though.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Elder User

gicknordon
What didnt you like about the mustang setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49f3dls View Post
I had a Mustang front end on my 49 F3 it was OK but not great- switching to a Jag front end that pretty much bolts to these trucks as the frame is same width. Some have even use the Jag rear end. Donor cars are not expensive and out there just get the correct model- suggest you read JEFF & NICOLE thread also HAMB has a few good write ups as they have been doing this convert down under for some time. The best advice I got was get everything from the JAG- all the rubber (even mounted to frame) hoses, steering column up to and including the knuckle under the dash. You end up with a good suspension and 4 wheel disk (4 pod) so you have plenty to stop the power you will be running. I'm new to the forum but really have gotten a lot from it- these guys are great and very helpful. Keep asking and I am sure you will get good info to help you make decisions. Have fun Dave S
Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Elder User

dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looks like you will have some body patching in the usual places I replaced. It was a good learning experience as I hadn't done any bodywork prior to my 50 - fortunately 16ga sheetmetal is fairly forgiving with a wire feed welder.

Enjoy the journey.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Hello...that is a great find. I always like to see a truck fall into the right hands...someone who will get it back on the road.

Where are you off to for school??

Dan
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Looks like the guy has a few more 48-50 trucks, as seen in the backgrounds. You also look to have a decent start.

Good luck with your project!
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Elder User

gicknordon
took delivery of the truck today. Got the leaves and dirt out of the bed and the cab. Here are some pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
That truck has a lot of character! I like the spot light.

Dan
Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Elder User

gicknordon
Yeah i like the light it might stay. I thought it was original bit it says mopar on it so it must not be the original light haha.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Here is a factory Ford Spot. Got Ford stamped all over it. My Baby.

Click the image to open in full size.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Elder User

49f3dls is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.49f3dls is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry I missed your question the other day- The Mustang was OK but for some reason it just didn't give that feeling of confidence at any speed above 50. Maybe I didn't have it set up right or the springs or ?? were just too soft. I don't know but after reading all the post about the jag being able to carry the weight and being the correct size I decided to try- got my 86 xjs for $425 had a dead V12 in it but otherwise pretty complete. If I can figure out how to post pics(I'm new to the site - read the write up, but I am old guy and it takes a while for things to sink in) I will put some out here - check out Jeff & Nicole- 49F321 build tread- I think you can find it in the read first part of the site. Have fun Dave S
Old 08-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks