View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
Again I will point out as I did eatlier that the 10k limit is misunderstood and in non commercial, non farm use simply does not apply or even EXIST from a Ferderal perspective nor most states.

Unless of course it is commercial, which is defined as "in commerce" and NOT as in private use. --OR-- it is in Farm use.

So in reality, people who have a misconception on what is commercial and what is private use are really shooting themselves in the foot if they legaly need more load capacity, because same truck or not, those numbers on the saftery compliance sticker in the door jam are absoluts and are legaly binding, private or commercial use.

David
What I'm talking about has nothing to do with Federal (FMCSA) rules. Many states have different registration procedures for vehicles over 10,000 lbs GVWR, regardless of whether they are used for commercial purposes or not. This can make it much more expensive to register an F-350 vs an F-250. For example, here in MN an F-350 gets commercial truck registration even if it's not being used for commercial purposes. An F-250 gets regular passenger car registration because it's under 10,000 lbs. They even get different license plates. It just so happens that this makes the F-350 registration cheaper here, but that's not the case in many states. Some insurance companies also handle vehicles over 10,000 lbs differently.

Also, Ford's rated capacities are not necessarily legal limits, they are simply Ford's recommendations. The laws on this vary by state, but I've thoroughly searched our laws here in MN and there is nothing that specifically prohibits exceeding the manufacturer's stated GVWR or GCWR. There are weights that are illegal to exceed, but GVWR and GCWR are not among them.