View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Well, if it were mine, I would try to isolate it some more... is it the belt on a pulley sheave, is it a bearing, or something else. I would make it squeal and try squirting water on the pulley sheath/belt, I would probe around with a stethoscope, whatever else I could do to determine the true source.
If he has isolated it to the power steering, and replaced the pump, there's about a 99% chance that it's not a bad bearing.

The pump I got with my truck was supplied with a big washer, nut, and a bolt so that you could press the pulley onto the pump. Was it pressed on there fully? The shaft that the pulley sits on should be flush with the flange that sticks up on the face of the pulley towards the radiator. On the backside of the pulley, facing the pump, the pulley should have about a 1/8'' gap or so where you can see the shaft for the PS pump. The pulley shouldn't contact the pump at all, just the shaft.

The only other thing I can think of would be a squealing belt.

I'm puzzled, myself.

Your steering box isn't leaking on the steering shaft that the pitman arm is pressed onto, is it? The seal is about 5 or 7$. You'll need a pair of snap ring pliers to change it if it's leaking. Needle nose pliers with a fine tip would work also.

If the seal is leaking, then you'll have air going up into the pump, causing your squealing.

Also, how loud is the squealing? I noticed that until the air got out of my pump, the thing was LOUD. When you turn the steering noise, you still hear the characteristic "Psssssshhh" noise. That's normal if that's what you're hearing.