Thread: My F100
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Cochip
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Yup, clean the whole fuel system and replace any rubber hoses. You might try just cleaning the carb. If it needs a kit you should try to find a tag or part number on the carb. My 60 has a Holley 2 bbl but I'm not sure if it's what came on there. I would probably use Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders. Unless the rats have ate the plug wires, I'd just file and set the points until I heard it run, no sense in putting a bunch of new parts on an engine with a rod knock or dead hole(s).
I've heard some say to use denatured alcohol when cleaning out old gas from a tank, but I'm not sure if that's best. It's been capped, but I won't know what the condition is inside there until I get it out of the truck. As far as the Marvel Mystery oil would putting some in the carb at the first start-up and even in the fuel be advisable? Or should I just put in each cylinder only with a good octane fuel? I read up a little on this stuff and it sounds like it works as a fuel additive. BTW there isn't any good way to repair a badly rusted radiator is there? I'm thinking it's best to just find a replacement for it. What would be ideal? I've seen some folks who have used one from an older F250, but I'm not sure what would be a good replacement without modifying anything. Oh crap am I in deep here!!!

PS: I'm too new at this to have any idea how to file and set points!!! I was planning on replacing the cap and rotor, but maybe I'll wait and see if she turns over first.