Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM
dilan73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vinyl headliner tutorial on 1999 F250 crew cab

I'm in the process of restoring my 99 f250 SD Crew cab. I'm no expert but I try my best to get the best results for my self.
I Haven't found any instruction on doing the headliner in vinyl so I just educated my self from various projects I came across on the net. There are plenty of examples of doing it in traditional materials like the foam backed cloth that's common in most vehicles and I found one forum where some girls showed how to do it with a micro suede fabric ( I learned some great tips from them that I'll explain later). My goal ?,, a high end OEM look and feel that will blend well with the painted interior,, that will be another post. The interior will be a flat black So I'll be using a vinyl that has no Luster but rather a true flat look and leather texture pretty flexible and not to heavy. Any way lets begin

* Before getting started on any of these steps do yourself a favor and purpose to have patience. Do the project in your head try to work through it in your mind. study your materials and the surface get a good feel for how they move bend stretch contract, read all usage info on cans or any other things, just inform yourself as much as possible, try to anticipate any tough situation you may run into on you project and practice working it out. enjoy the work and creative process.

Materials and Tools List
Vinyl at least 6' feet by 8' feet. I brought mine at Joannes but they only had 54 inch wide so I had to get creative but i made it work for me. the vinyl i used is called Whisper black its $21 yard cheapest i found online was 18 but they had a 50% off at Joannes or sometimes they have a 40% off coupon in circular.

3M 80 Rubber and Vinyl spray Adhesive it does say on the front of can that its for headliners. GO TO HOMEDEPOT, they have it for $13.98 vs the auto parts store version for $25.
High temp glue gun $9-$12 and high temp construction grade glue sticks 2 bags $8 ea of the ten inch size can be bought at Joannes or any craft store.

Respirator for vapor and fumes from glue $20 at home depot (optional) if working outside but these fumes give head aches.

Oven mitt for smoothing out vinyl (optional)

Apron for tools any cheap one will do its good to your tools close (optional)

Sharp Razors, Scissors and exactos the ones with the interchangeable tips that are thin and get into tight places.

Drop cloths to cover things when spraying glue especially your already finished parts.

Attached Images