View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part of the problem with the recall was not just with the E vs. D rating - it did make it easier to explain to the average consumer. Firestone was having fairly significant issues at the time across the board on their tires - still suck in my opinion. The problem was really at trying to get a good ride in a heavy duty truck by lowering the air pressure. Even the revised E rated tires were recommended to be at a 45 psi front and 55 psi rear which is just not enough for these trucks. You do not get the full capacity of the tire until you are AT the max psi rating.

Some D rated tires are fine - but not if they are under inflated. I have D rated Mickey Thompson tires - absolutely NO issues in almost 30k miles and a lot of that towing a 11k boat and having the truck loaded down. MUCH better than the crappy Firestone Transforce AT tires that the beast came with - horrible handling and traction. Look at the actual tire - the rated weight capacity at a given air pressure and be sensible. Mine are rated at 3305 lbs at 65psi which I keep them at - not much different than the 3415 (on average) most of the E rated tires are at. The stiffer sidewall can help with handling - but it also kills the ride. Go to a good shop who will work with you on the right tire or do your own research and get what will work for you.