View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob1109
I also would like the drain the block. Approximate location for both left and right side? Are these the square headed things? Can they be reached from the top side? Advice and counsel appreciated. Best.
Just had my driver's side out a month ago. On my 1997 4.6 WINDSOR engine (VIN code "6" for 8th VIN digit), it is an internal hex plug. I use a metric hex that is fitted into its own socket, driven with a 3/8" drive, a Craftsman Metric Hex 3/8" drive set I have. I put an extension on it, and it is easy to get to.

The driver's side block drain plug is about 2" above the rear-most core plug ("freeze plug") on the block. On my 2WD, it is just above and a bit forward of the oil filter. Easy to get to sliding under from behind the left front wheel.

Once it's really loose, I just spin the extension by hand and slide myself back, because when the plug comes out, it dumps!

Before putting some Permatex #1 sealer on it and installing it, I thread it in bare with the extension held by hand not by wrench, to get a feeling for the insertion angle needed. It has to be threaded in really straight, or else it isn't right. When you have it started right, it threads in easy.