View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets start from scratch. Starting with a warm engine. Start the engine and then with the vac advance hose disconnected and plugged.
Disconnect your throttle linkage so that's not an issue; holding the throttle slightly open.
Set your timing to spec. Stop the engine.

Make sure your choke is full open and the fast idle cam IS NOT engaging the adjustment screw.

Turn your idle mixture screws in lightly till they stop then back each one out 1 an 1/2 turns. Start the engine.

If it won't idle turn the idle speed screw in till the arm moves slightly. try starting it again. Repeat till it keeps running.

Adj the idle speed screw till the rpm is near 650. Then you can start adjusting the mixture screws for smooth idle and highest vacuum; lowering the speed accordingly keeping in the 650rpm range. It might take a few back and forth adjustments to get it best.

When you are happy with the carb then reattach the ported vac hose. The engine sound and speed should stay the same. If it changes double check to verify you have NO VAC at idle.

Reconnect the throttle linkage making sure there is free play and it isn't holding the throttle plates open.

The only thing left is to set the choke and fast idle adjustments. You can manually move the choke cam to the higher notch and adj the fast idle speed screw, on the choke side of the carb, to specified rpm, 1200 or so.

Then when cold turn your choke cap to set your cold start position.

Sorry I don't have the specs but we don't know what model Holley you have and I don't have those anyway.

My apologies if I have left anything out; doing this from memory.....