View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Fish_Scientist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
390 Exhaust Manifold Gasket change

I'll be changing out the exhaust manifold gaskets on my 390 to quiet down a NOISY ride; there's a big leak in the drivers side gasket that makes driving Patience almost uncomfortable. I don't have the resources yet for headers but would like some recommendations for what gasket and sealant would be best and also what can I expect? What am I in for? A week of misery? Two hours of simplicity?

It looks like there is some sort of metal gasket in there now; before taking things apart, should I just make sure that all bolts are tight?

I'll be sure to soak all bolts in PB Blaster for a few days before attempting to remove the manifolds, but do I need to disassemble to rest of the exhaust system (i.e., should I detach the collectors from the manifolds)? Also, presuming that all the bolts come out relatively easily, is this a pretty straightforward procedure?

Remember, I'm still relatively new to wrenching, don't have a complete automotive shop, and don't want to bite off more than I should chew, but I think this seems like something I--with my Haynes Manual and my limited knowledge--can do.