View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
yeksun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escape Alternator replace the easy way

I just replaced an alternator in a 2003 escape It took me 2 hrs and I had never replaced one on an escape before. The manual says to remove drive axle.( yeah right ,that wasnt going to happen).Here is how I did it and how I will do it every time from now on. Sorry no pics.
The vehicle is a 2003 escape 4x4
Remove right front tire and plastic splash shield
Remove serpentine belt
Remove upper intake manifold (this sounds way worse than it is I have done this before and I am familiar with the process so it took about 15 min. it may take you a couple mins more the first time but the payoff will be worth it believe me.) Dont forget to have a new gasket set ready about $8
Remove 2 bottom alt bolts 13mm (reach through the wheel well)
Remove 1 top alt bolt 13mm (reach over the top of the engine down the back of the firewall)
Now move the alt. so that you can disconnect the electrical connector and remove the battery cable mine was a 10 mm
Remove the alternator by bringing it up along the firewall. I got mine out by turning it so the pulley was facing the drivers side of the car. slowly and carefully move the alternator up and out, moving tubing and wires out of the way as needed
Replacement is the reverse just be careful when lowering the new alt back into place not to snag any hoses or wires
This was a pretty easy way to do this in comparison with how they want you to do it. Good luck