Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
New User

yeksun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Escape Alternator replace the easy way

I just replaced an alternator in a 2003 escape It took me 2 hrs and I had never replaced one on an escape before. The manual says to remove drive axle.( yeah right ,that wasnt going to happen).Here is how I did it and how I will do it every time from now on. Sorry no pics.
The vehicle is a 2003 escape 4x4
Remove right front tire and plastic splash shield
Remove serpentine belt
Remove upper intake manifold (this sounds way worse than it is I have done this before and I am familiar with the process so it took about 15 min. it may take you a couple mins more the first time but the payoff will be worth it believe me.) Dont forget to have a new gasket set ready about $8
Remove 2 bottom alt bolts 13mm (reach through the wheel well)
Remove 1 top alt bolt 13mm (reach over the top of the engine down the back of the firewall)
Now move the alt. so that you can disconnect the electrical connector and remove the battery cable mine was a 10 mm
Remove the alternator by bringing it up along the firewall. I got mine out by turning it so the pulley was facing the drivers side of the car. slowly and carefully move the alternator up and out, moving tubing and wires out of the way as needed
Replacement is the reverse just be careful when lowering the new alt back into place not to snag any hoses or wires
This was a pretty easy way to do this in comparison with how they want you to do it. Good luck
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Senior User

rlester is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is a great tip, thanks for posting this.

I just bought a 2006 Escape for my wife with 170k kms on it. I'm pretty sure in the next couple of years I will have to change the alt on it, so this is good to know. Although, my 86 F150 still has the original alt on it with 290k on it. The originals seem to last the longest in my experience.

As stated, your method is MUCH simpler than removing the front axle.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 PM
New User

yeksun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your welcome.
After I saw the recommended repair procedure and then I figured out the other way I just had to share my findings with everyone. I am glad that this will be useful to you someday. Thanks for the comment
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Posting Guru

bmuhlbach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bmuhlbach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Good to know did you throw new plugs,pvc valve in also since you are right there!!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Senior User

scott91370 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know if I would call it MUCH simpler. It's only 3 bolts (maybe 5) to remove the axle. I haven't tried it the way above and hopefully I never have to replace another one.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Freshman User

944_s_type is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an alternator or more correctly a Voltage requlator that is not putting out over 12 V. I just picked up a new alternator, and a set of plugs, and a gasket kit.... Guess I'll have a fun weekend. Now If I could only get the damn truck to quit vibrating!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 PM
New User

cstinem is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott91370 View Post
I don't know if I would call it MUCH simpler. It's only 3 bolts (maybe 5) to remove the axle. I haven't tried it the way above and hopefully I never have to replace another one.
I have a 2004 v6 3.0 and wonder if it is different than the above alternator replacement that he was talking about. How long did it take you to replace yours? How did you take out the axle?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 PM
New User

cstinem is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeksun View Post
I just replaced an alternator in a 2003 escape It took me 2 hrs and I had never replaced one on an escape before. The manual says to remove drive axle.( yeah right ,that wasnt going to happen).Here is how I did it and how I will do it every time from now on. Sorry no pics.
Do the intake have the round gaskets? So once you take it off you can get to the top side of the alternator?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstinem View Post
I have a 2004 v6 3.0 and wonder if it is different than the above alternator replacement that he was talking about. How long did it take you to replace yours? How did you take out the axle?
There are a couple of bolts holding it in and one on the control arm that lets the arm swing out of the way if I remember correctly.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 PM
New User

Jbizzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
2006 escape alternator

I found some of this information helpful but for the 2.3L Escapes you do not have to remove the intake manifold but to get the alternator out you must remove the heat sheild off of the headers. Also there is a protective cover going over the alternator and the tension pully you must remove that are held on with 10mm bolts and there is also a air vent connected to the alternator that is a 2 & 1/2 in tube you must remove to get the alternator cover off connected with push in clips on both sides of the tube. When you finally get to the alternator the mounting bolts are 15mm with one retainer bolt on the cover and another behind the cover for the top bolt of the alternator other than that you do not need to remove the axle.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott91370 View Post

Well I have to go at this again. TWO YEARS is all this one lasted - 60k miles. Last one I bought was $240 this one was $340. I'm thinking of keeping the core and rebuilding it just in case I need it- hopefully this vehicle is be gone next September- it'll be right at 290k miles at that time.

I may have to recant my statement above about it not being much simpler as I just replace the plugs and remove the mani wasn't mearly as hard as I thought it would be. And, since I have't put it all the way back together I'm already ahead a good 15 mins! I will post up and let everybody know which way I prefer.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Senior User

Well I finished the alternator and in my opinion taking it out through the top was not any easier. I'll stick with the 4-5 bolts it takes to pop the axle off instead of removing the dozen or so it takes to remove the intake mani.

The things I found that made it more difficult:
Lift it out - trying to hold it while lifting and tilting ( I ended up putting twine in one of the bolt holes to lift by)
Putting the bolts in: with the axle in the way it was difficult to hold the alternator up so the weight wasn't on the bolt when starting

It was worth a try though.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Elder User

fmtrvt is a name known to allfmtrvt is a name known to allfmtrvt is a name known to allfmtrvt is a name known to allfmtrvt is a name known to allfmtrvt is a name known to all
Thanks for trying out the alternate method and opinion.

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys
Step Lights; Painted Flanges; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Oil & Coolant Filters, etc.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid

Tags
02, 03, 07, 2004, 2005, 2006, alternator, axle, change, drive, escape, escapealternator, ford, remove, replace, replaced, replacement, side, v6