View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 91dirtydiesel
id just find a donor truck, probably make it all alot easier and less frustrating.....but if you dont i have a e4od driveshaft ill hook ya up with lol
Haha, I'll definitely let you know. Nice truck BTW, love the red and white. A donor truck... well, I don't have the room for one, and I'd rather just use parts then kill a truck just to get a trans setup out of it. I'm looking at a couple of setups on the old List of Craig's.

Originally Posted by greywynd
On an '86 you don't have a VSS, it's a mechanical speedo cable. Not sure whether it's ran off the tranny or transfer case on the 4wd's off hand, I can't recall.

Your transfer case should bolt right up, but I think the E40D is a bit longer, and uses different shifter linkage for the transfer case.

You'll also need the transmission control module (TECA) and related wiring, or to add in an aftermarket tranny controller. There was one discussed on here awhile back that someone bought, and were quite happy with.

BTW, you also need to make sure it's a diesel E40D, as the bellhousing were different from gas to diesel. I think it also has to be IDI, and not powerstroke.
Right, I have the mechanical drive speedometer, and I believe it's run off the t-case, but I was wondering if the VSS goes in the same place on the transfer case for the later E4OD setup or the rear end, and if the one I have can be made to work. The trans controller, I would go with the after market Opti-Shift (Baumann unit), as my buddy has one (the older style) and loved it on his 4L60E before he converted it to manual.

As for the bell housings, I thought the IDI and the PS housings were the same, and that the block plate was different?

The cross-member is my other concern...