View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 04:43 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to the 2001 trailer towing guide, your truck, with the 7.3, regardless of transmission type, rear axle ratio, 2wd or 4wd, SRW or DRW, regular cab, super cab or crew cab has a GCWR of 20,000 lbs.

Taking your loaded weight at 7650 lbs away from that "recommended" maximum GCWR (remembering that only the GAWR's and the GVR are absolute numbers) you have a theroretical towing capacity of 12,850 lbs before you venture over into the "gray" territory, "unrecommended" and if the overloaded condition has a hand in collision may mean that someone else owns your home.....

That said.

#1 I do not see your loaded individual axle weights. It is important to weigh both the front and the rear LOADED. While it is advisable to carry at least 10% of your loaded trailer weight as tounge weight, it could be possible that you do not have that much rear axle capacity left ?? Unless you have a DRW, then I doubt that you are exceeding, it is the SRW models that run out of rear axle weight capacity mostly.

#2 For 2001 Ford has a 10k limit on bumper pull trailers due to hitch limitations (as stated directly by Ford in the 2001 trailering guide). You will need more that the factory standard hitch.

#3 Is your truck STOCK height? If not then your towing goes down as the lift goes up.

#4 Are you using a drop hitch insert? If so, then your factory hitch rating goes DOWN as the drop (or rise) increases as it has a negative leverage effect on the hitch.

#5 As mentioned, brakes are a must

#6 A equalizer hitch and sway bar are probaly one of the best investments you can make on a bumper pull of that weight.

So you CANNOT pull 14k behind your truck, without venturing into the "gray, unrecommended area" that the DOT and a good laywer can use against you. UNLESS you get a lighter truck - think 2wd regular cab, OR reduce your load in the truck.

I will add this as well, if you think stepping up to a 2001 F350 will help, that is not the case as both the F250's AND F350's (with the 7.3 or the 6.8 w/4.30 gears) have the same recommended 20,000 GCWR. This is something than many misunderstand. Newer F350 are rated at higher GCWR's than F250, but that is much newer.

I hope this helps, I have steered away from your paticular states rules in this discussion as state laws by federal rules/laws have to be as stringent as the federal DOT rules, but in many states (Washington included) there are many more restictions.

David

**edit** Not to seem like a smart you know what, but whe talking DOT stuff, curb weight is refered to as "tare" weight.