View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyf100
doesn't the AOD TC still lock up in 3rd above a certain speed, which would give you lower highway RPM then a C6. I seem to recall a C6 needing more power / energy to operate then an AOD / C4 which should also mean all things equal the AOD would be more efficient use of power thus better fuel econ.
Yes, the C6 uses much more power to operate than the AOD does, so the AOD is more efficient and produces better fuel economy for normal street use. Otherwise, Ford would have never used it.

Originally Posted by f100beatertruck
The main concept of the build is stone cold reliability through simplicity. That's #1 priority. Even built I question the ability of the AOD to survive in an 8600lb gvw truck. Especially one that will tow 6-7k... The E4OD might but I then need a computer to run the trans and I'm getting away from my "simplicity" goal. I have an E4OD but it needs to be rebuilt so that plus the computer I'm at least at $2000.
Ford plainly states NOT to tow in overdrive. And auxiliary transmission coolers were installed with the AOD that had the towing package. So I think the idea that the AOD is "weak" is somewhat exaggerated for normal street use and light towing purposes.

That being said, if your #1 priority is "simplicity," then the C6 is the transmission for you. The E4OD is much more complex than the AOD, and the AOD is more complex than the C6. If you are going to tow 6-7K, I would definitely recommend the C6 over the AOD. There is a reason why Ford never put the AOD behind anything bigger than a 302 engine in the F-Series trucks. And its rare to find a 302/AOD combination in an F-250, because an F-250 is considered a heavy duty model.

Originally Posted by Greyf100
The great thing about the deep OD with the AOD is that it lets you run a steeper rear end gear, which will will improve take off. AOD w/3.73 = C6 w/3.00
True, and that's always FUN! At 55 MPH, my 302/AOD with a 3.55 gear is cruising at a slumber of only 1500 RPMs. With the AOD, you will be able to run a lower 4.10 gear, and even then it wouldn't scream at 55 MPH like a C6 would with a much higher 3.55 gear.