View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
While I've never used a torque wrench to set bearing preload, I do it by "feel" as have lots and lots of practice.
I can understand some like to and that is fine however don't over tighten them to seat the bearings, 180 ft-lb way overboard its just not necessary. No point in crushing the bearings denting the raceways right off the bat!

Don't back em off then tighten them to a final set of 60 or even 40 ft-lb either as that is just way to tight.

Do this (short excerpt copied from above),

Using spanner locknut wrench while rotating the hub back and forth, tighten the inner locknut to 68 Nm (50 ft-lb) to seat the bearing.
Back off the inner locknut and retighten to 41-54 Nm (30-<strike>40</strike> ft-lb) while rotating the hub back and forth.
Back off the locknut 90 degrees.
Install the lockwasher so the key is positioned in the spindle grove. Tighten the inner locknut, aligning the pin into the nearest lockwasher hole. (or flip washer offer, often will line up without need turn inner nut)
Install the outer locknut and tighten to 217-278 Nm (160-205 ft-lb) using spanner locknut wrench.

Do that and you'll be fine.