View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FallstonYJ
I am assuming I have the electronic HVAC system even though I don't have the steering wheel controls. It has the auto temp feature and you set the desired temperature with digital readout on the dash?

I find it hard to believe that the necessary harness would not already be in place for the steering wheel controls. Can't believe they would wire each truck differently based on which steering wheel it receives but maybe that's just wishful thinking??

One of these days I will dig the box out with the new steering wheel in it and just dive in!...........(Just need to make sure I won't need to drive the EX for a couple of days in case I have problems.)
Ok, so you do have the controller, now do you have the harness? I wouldn't be shocked to see the harness not there. Everything in assembly lines are 'modular', and if the manufacturer can save money by not including another 50 feet of wire that would sit unused, they WILL save that $1 in materials.

Think of it...you pay the raw material cost, then additional time (labor) making the harness just to not use it. Why do that if you don't need to?

In any event, if the wires are NOT there, then you should still be able to add the harness leads. Not saying it would be easy (might be fairly difficult in the 'cut knuckles' department), but it could be done. I'd imagine so long as it doesn't have to go through the main computer (GEM/ECM/some other acronym) that it can be added.