Old 11-06-2011, 02:04 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
SuperCab rear doors won't open. Cable / Latch broken

A while back one of my supercab doors would no longer open. I was able to follow the instructions here and fix it. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...wont-open.html It worked.

A year or so later, the lower cable broke. Here's how I fixed it.
There is another post with some drilling and rivets. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tch-fixed.html
I only used some zip ties and plastic screw anchors.

The main cause of problems with stuck doors is that all the cables use plastic bushings to hold the cable into the proper position. Apparently, this plastic degrades over time and disintegrates, causing the cable to no longer be anchored where it should be. This repair is just re-securing the cables to their proper position.

Remove the door panels from the inside, 2 screws at the window. Pull the top half of the door panel off towards you. For the lower panel, there are two 7mm bolts and possible a screw. Remove them and lift the lower panel straight up to remove.

You can now use a screwdriver to unlatch the lower door catch. To open it, you need to leverage the screw driver to mimic pulling the cable. It may take you a couple of times to get it right. If the upper latch is also broken, you can unlatch it by just pulling down on the upper cable. I had to pull down on the upper cable and use the screwdriver on the lower latch at the same time to open the door.

Once the door is open, use a T27 screwdriver to remove the 3 screws at the bottom of the door holding the latch in place. Then you can remove it and work on it much easier.

All I did was cut and trim a simple plastic screw wall anchor to mimic the original size and shape of the plastic bushing. I then used zip ties to hold it in place.

When you have it secured, just remount the lower latch and you are good to go. If you top latch is also bad, you can use the zip ties to anchor the cable in the proper position.

Here are some pics.

The original disintegrated bushing. Use a razor knife to remove it.

The plastic screw anchor used to replace bushing. Cut it to size.

Anchor the plastic screw anchor to the cable with zip ties.

Insert the ball end of the cable to the lower latch and then secure the cable with 1 more anchor.

Used a couple of zip ties to secure the upper cable into its proper place.

Here is a fuzzy picture of the lower latch remounted in the door, with the zip tied cable in place.