View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 12:05 PM
rmzsuzuki89
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Problems? Not wide spread. But they dont get very good mileage. I like the interior of the 08-10 best, but the 6.4 just doesnt grab my attention. A 6.7 isnt much more expensive, and at least with a 6.7 you get decent mileage and a lot of power.
But they don't have the 6.7's until like 2011 or something right. I can't quite afford any of the new new trucks, I'm trying to keep a bit of a budget.

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
The ONLY years I would look at getting are 2002-2003 7.3 personally. Everything else has 'known' problems, if not headgaskets and EGR its bad fuel mileage bad turbos or **** tanks to keep full.
I don't really wanna go backwards though. I just sold my '03 Expedition for a truck, and want to get something at least a few years newer.

Originally Posted by senix
I have the 6.4. It is a pretty good motor.

Most of the issues do center around the mpg's. This is a heavy truck coming in at 8K or more for most people. Combine that with the emissions and it can be an issue.
MPG's isn't a horrible issue, anything will be better than what I had in my expedition up until right before I sold it. And I also wouldn't be driving it daily, only when it rains or when i have another person with me. Or any other reason that I wouldn't be able to ride the bike.

Alot centers around what your use would be. This motor works great for towing and long distance applications. This is where it shines the most and will do the best service with the fewest problems.

Just running to the store or a lot of city driving and then you will have some issues with the EGR or the DPF.

So the real question is what would you use the truck for?
I wouldn't be doing much towing, maybe occasionally, but not often. Just mainly for rainy days or when I have something that I can't take not he bike. And occasional off roading. Are there any kind of mods than can be done to either the ERG or the DPF to help with some of the problems.

EGR valve...they did come out with a redesign so you don't see too much of that anymore.
That's good news.

DPF. The DPF traps soot which has to be burned off from time to time. Slow speeds/city stop and go do not work well with this.
Would the delete solve some of the issues.

Originally Posted by truckinforever
Are you dead set on a diesel? You can get a V10 for cheaper and have a lot less problems. The only down side is fuel mileage. But fuel cost is less and so is maintenance so for me its cheaper to own the gas burner.
Ya, pretty set on the diesel.

In this case a DPF delete and tuning will cure the issues.
One thing that I would plan on doing.