View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 PM
mountie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFE Dry Air Filter Horror Story

I had an 08 F350 6.4 Diesel which I bought new. I had installed a Pro Dry air filter from AFE in it. I sold the truck with 26 thousand kilometers on it. The new owner who I happen to be talking to today advised me that he drove the truck for another 40,000 kilometers and the engine blew. He took it to Ford and they said the engine was dusted and it was caused by the aftermarket filter. He called AFE and they claimed he didn't clean the filter which he told me he had done twice. AFE said it's not their fault and Ford is denying warranty so he had to pay over $12000 to have a new engine put in the truck. He promptly traded the truck on a Chevy Diesel. He is extremely pissed at AFE. He said the filter warning device hadn't even moved.

That was my first Dry filter. I've had two previous oil based systems from AFE and encountered no problems. As a matter of fact they worked great. My last truck had a high performance filter system from Air Raid as well. I just sold it with 223 K on it. Now I just bought a completely stock low mileage 07 F350 Diesel and am thinking twice about putting in an aftermarket filter system. I'm gonna put a 4 inch exhaust on it. But am really nervous now about the aftermarket filters. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.