View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 05:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by boss1982
I'm looking into buying an F150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost. It list a 3.15 ratio rearend. I have a 6000 lb trailer to pull. After comparing the different engines I noticed the 3.7L FFV and the 5.0L come with either a 3.55 or 3.73 rearend. Will the ecoboost with the 3.15 gear ratio be sufficient to pull the trailer or would it be better to have the 3.55 or 3.73?

This thread that I copied came from another thread in this forum, "anyone working their Ecoboost"? Check it out, it's a good read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd230
I look at longevity in terms of moving parts and how fast are those moving parts rotating. My ecoboost has 3.15 gears and even under spirited driving I rarely need to rev it past 3K RPMs because of the power curve. Any of the V8s are turning many more RPMs than this little 3.5 liter V6 which has less moving parts (2 less pistons) that have to change direction instantaneously every RPM. I would guess that an Ecoboost truck would have to average at least 1000 RPM less than any of the V8s and maybe more. Multiply that by 150,000 miles and think about surface wear. Friction and rotating mass are the enemy of rings and bearings. One might argue that the Turbos are spinning at insane speeds - but that is what they are designed to do, these have oil cooling, and Turbos have run well past 150,000 miles in many applications. Changing one would probably be an afternoon in the garage. I like my chances of getting 150,000 miles + out of this engine over any of the v8s.

I had a 99 7.3 liter SD that was a great truck - 210,000 miles when I sold it and it was all original except for batteries and a few misc parts. Great truck - I think RPM and maintenance are the key to engine longevity (regardless of fuel). Compression of a diesel is much higher than one of these 12 lb boosted trucks so if Ford did their homework and uses proper bearings on the rods and crank we should all be enjoying these for a long time.
I agree completely, however, comparing the ecoboost with 3.15's to a 5.0 with 3.55's is not completely fair. the eco with 3.15's tow rating is not that impressive and most people who are working these hard have the 3.55's or 3.73's, which is the same as the v8.

so yea, some less rotating mass by way of 6 holes vs 8 .... but comparing the two with the same gears, they will wear the same (some less potential for cylinder wear and oil consumption by way of less swept area in the cylinders again, 6 holes not 8). the difference then becomes how many "parts" are contained in each package that could need service.

the v8 has "X" amount of parts. the v6 has "X-2" (6 holes not 8) parts plus two turbo's. Leaving about the same number of "parts" .... but those turbos, if they ever need servicing, could be very costly.

I'd go out on a limb and guess that of all the "parts" on an ecoboost, the turbos are the most likely to give problems if subject to harsh use or abuse.

What worries me is a guy could buy a used ecoboost for 25K with 40K miles on it a year from now, and then get soaked with a 5k repair bill for turbos that are out of the 3/36 warranty (or whatever the numbers may be for the powertrain warranty ford provides on these)

at that point you'd wish you would have just bought a new one cauz you are in just as deep....

that's my big worry ... what are the used ones going to be like in a year, or two, or five, or ten .... I can't afford a new one, so if i get one it will be used .... and it wont have 3.15 gears, either.... i'm just sayin ...
1979 F350 Camper Special; 460, C6, 4.10's

08-17-2011, 01:29 AM