Thread: Oil Capacity?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 AM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Capacity?

When I changed the oil in my 6.2 for the first time 1 1/2 monthes ago I used the synth blend motocraft oil. IIRC it calls for 7 quarts, which I put in. The dipstick reading was showing more than full, to the point that I ended up draining maybe a 1/2 quart out, with the stick still showing a little over.
An interesting sideline, I had recently purchased a certified used Mercury Sable, which calls for the same synth blend oil, which the dealer changed fresh before purchase. I brought it back , because the dipstick was showing a 1/2 quart or more overfill. They dealt with it but were surprised that it was overfull.
My question is, is there some property of the synthetic blend oil that maybe causes more residual oil to stay stuck in the engine (maybe the coating of oil stays in place more than regular oil) when draining?
I ask as Im due for changes in the truck and the Sable soon, and am considering filling minus a 1/2 quart. I doubt the stick is off kilter in both vehicles or fill errors were made in both. As a matter of fact Im sure my fill was correct when I changed the truck.