Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 AM
nycsteve nycsteve is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 178
nycsteve is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oil Capacity?

When I changed the oil in my 6.2 for the first time 1 1/2 monthes ago I used the synth blend motocraft oil. IIRC it calls for 7 quarts, which I put in. The dipstick reading was showing more than full, to the point that I ended up draining maybe a 1/2 quart out, with the stick still showing a little over.
An interesting sideline, I had recently purchased a certified used Mercury Sable, which calls for the same synth blend oil, which the dealer changed fresh before purchase. I brought it back , because the dipstick was showing a 1/2 quart or more overfill. They dealt with it but were surprised that it was overfull.
My question is, is there some property of the synthetic blend oil that maybe causes more residual oil to stay stuck in the engine (maybe the coating of oil stays in place more than regular oil) when draining?
I ask as Im due for changes in the truck and the Sable soon, and am considering filling minus a 1/2 quart. I doubt the stick is off kilter in both vehicles or fill errors were made in both. As a matter of fact Im sure my fill was correct when I changed the truck.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 PM
lbrjet lbrjet is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 45
lbrjet is starting off with a positive reputation.
I change mine engine warm, level surface, letting it drain completely, like for a half hour. Use MC 5W20 and have never had any problem. My truck is a 2010 5.4L F250.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Super08's Avatar
Super08 Super08 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,036
Super08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to behold
If I recall mine took a bit less as well. It won't matter what type of oil you use. My 6.0 was the same. I usually leave the last quart until I have fired it up and filled the filter. Then I fill it about 3/4 the way to the full line. Once it has sat overnight it will be right on the line.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 PM
ford390gashog's Avatar
ford390gashog ford390gashog is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brentwood,CA
Posts: 14,762
ford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to all
How FULL was it? 7 quarts puts it between the full mark and about 3/8'' above. I would not waste any effort to drain out 16 oz of fluid. These engines really could hold over 9 quarts before the crank starts splashing in the oil. I have already torn down two of them and the dipstick has read different on each an every truck just slightly. Its not a precision measuring device just a simple visual check.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Thenewboss's Avatar
Thenewboss Thenewboss is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 211
Thenewboss is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
How FULL was it? 7 quarts puts it between the full mark and about 3/8'' above. I would not waste any effort to drain out 16 oz of fluid. These engines really could hold over 9 quarts before the crank starts splashing in the oil. I have already torn down two of them and the dipstick has read different on each an every truck just slightly. Its not a precision measuring device just a simple visual check.
What he said^^ The book says 7 quarts with filter change and thats what I put in. Honestly, after about 5 oil changes I don't think i've looked at the dipstick after re-filling, not once, in the middle of intervals I have and the level has been dead on. Remember, do what the book says and the responsibility falls on Ford, not on you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 AM
nycsteve nycsteve is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 178
nycsteve is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewboss View Post
What he said^^ The book says 7 quarts with filter change and thats what I put in. Honestly, after about 5 oil changes I don't think i've looked at the dipstick after re-filling, not once, in the middle of intervals I have and the level has been dead on. Remember, do what the book says and the responsibility falls on Ford, not on you.
Well heres what happened after I changed the oil in the 2 vehicles I mentioned. To recap, I was wondering if there was a property of the synthetic blend oil that kept it from draining completly when changing, based on an overfill in both my 6.2 and a 2008 Sable I bought used that had the first oil change done by the dealer.
In the case of the Sable, the answer was easy, the dealer put in 6 quarts by thier own addmission, in checking the manual, it calls for 5 1/2 quarts. The dealer overfilled by 1/2 a quart.
In the case of the 6.2 , I noticed that more oil will come out of the drain after the filter is removed. Its my habit to drain the case and replace the nut, before removing the filter as its easier to catch oil coming from one spot at a time. This time I removed the nut after having replaced it after draining the case when I removed the filter. There was a fresh flow of oil after the filter was removed. This time 7 quarts was on the money.
As for doing what the book says and blindly adding the full 7 quarts with the resposibility falling on Ford, consider this quote from the manual,
" Do not overfill the engine with oil. Oil levels above this mark may cause engine damage. If the engine is overfilled , some oil must be removed from the engine by an authorized dealer. "
As far as I can see Ford has stated in thier manual that you must check the dipstick and its readings to be assumed accurate. In a worse case senerio, overfilling by dipstick readings will void thier warrenty. I've almost always changed my own oil over the years and have found the dipsticks to be accurate . In this case it was my own mistake causing a bad reading, and the mistake of the dealer in the Sable case. Also, I think the synthetic blend oil takes longer to drain out than traditional oil, I'll be allowing for longer drain time with future changes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2011, 07:32 PM
postman24 postman24 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
postman24 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
Well heres what happened after I changed the oil in the 2 vehicles I mentioned. To recap, I was wondering if there was a property of the synthetic blend oil that kept it from draining completly when changing, based on an overfill in both my 6.2 and a 2008 Sable I bought used that had the first oil change done by the dealer.
In the case of the Sable, the answer was easy, the dealer put in 6 quarts by thier own addmission, in checking the manual, it calls for 5 1/2 quarts. The dealer overfilled by 1/2 a quart.
In the case of the 6.2 , I noticed that more oil will come out of the drain after the filter is removed. Its my habit to drain the case and replace the nut, before removing the filter as its easier to catch oil coming from one spot at a time. This time I removed the nut after having replaced it after draining the case when I removed the filter. There was a fresh flow of oil after the filter was removed. This time 7 quarts was on the money.
As for doing what the book says and blindly adding the full 7 quarts with the resposibility falling on Ford, consider this quote from the manual,
" Do not overfill the engine with oil. Oil levels above this mark may cause engine damage. If the engine is overfilled , some oil must be removed from the engine by an authorized dealer. "
As far as I can see Ford has stated in thier manual that you must check the dipstick and its readings to be assumed accurate. In a worse case senerio, overfilling by dipstick readings will void thier warrenty. I've almost always changed my own oil over the years and have found the dipsticks to be accurate . In this case it was my own mistake causing a bad reading, and the mistake of the dealer in the Sable case. Also, I think the synthetic blend oil takes longer to drain out than traditional oil, I'll be allowing for longer drain time with future changes.
I've owned many vehicles during my lifetime. I always put the exact amount of oil that the manual states and have NEVER had a problem. The 6.2 requires 7 quarts of oil and that's exactly what I put in. I rarely check the dipstick unless I suspect that a vehicle is burning oil. Ford would not state that this engine requires 7 quarts if it needs only 6 1/2 quarts. Unless one doesn't know how to completely drain the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 PM
super 6.8 super 6.8 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wichita
Posts: 493
super 6.8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Look at it this way, the oil pans are the same, the oil pump pick ups are all the same and Ford says to use X quarts. The only variable is the dip stick. Fill it with what is required and see where it is on the dip stick. This is your reference to check for any usage between changes.
__________________
2007 F250 CC 4wd v10 4:30 5 sp auto with moonroof
2007 Mountaineer Premier 4.6 6 sp auto
1999 Mustang 3.8 auto
1997 T Bird 4.6 auto
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Buckholz Buckholz is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Flagstaff
Posts: 113
Buckholz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Consider that one source of error is the amount of oil in any given "quart" of oil.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:30 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8

Tags
0w20, 1999, 2007, 2011, 62, 62l, capacity, capasity, f150, f350, ford, lightning, liter, oil, v8

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup