Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The times sure have changed. When I was 14, I got a drivers license that was only good for a motorcyle, and at 16 it automatically became a learners permit for cars. Maybe it was 15.5, dunno, been 30+ years......
That same license was restricted to certain hours of the day, 7am-9pm IIRC, and 125CC max, until 16. On your 16th birthday, the time and engine size limits were dropped, and any motorcyle could be ridden, at any hour, along with any car/light truck driven so long as there was a fully licensed driver in the front seat. A simple driving skills test removed that last restriction.
These days, I'm licensed to drive anything that has at least 4 wheels (class "A" CDL), but in order to (legally) get back on a 2 wheeler, I will have to go take another test. Last time I rode a bike, I rolled thru a checkpoint. The officer just laughed and pointed out that I wasn't licensed to ride that bike, cause it didn't have enough wheels, and sent me on my way. Until that point, I wasn't aware there was such a thing as an "M" endorsement, that adds an additional fee to the license.
Doesn't really surprise me though. This is, afterall, the very same state that charges $100/yr penalty on a $21/yr tag...........