View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 AM
BumpDraft2007
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow
Eh, don't get me started on horror stories I've seen/heard from getting oil changed instead of DIY... Not to mention that the factory oil guage is not really a guage at all, its just there to make people feel better honestly. The factory sensor for oil pressure is simply an on/off switch set to come on at 6 psi which is stupidly low for oil pressure. So the gauge will read Normal when there is 6+ psi regardless if it is actually 6 psi or 40 psi.

Qwik lubes/jiffy lube/wherever use untrained basically slave labor to do oil changes and dealers are not much better. My father in law works at a very well known and huge Honda dealer around here and he is always telling me how the kids they hire to do the oil changes make him laugh. What might have happened with your truck is they just dumped all the oil you brought in thinking that you knew the exact amount to give them or wanted it all in there? If the oil is substantially higher than the max dot then you might have to get dirty and oily crawling under there and cracking the drain bolt open to let some out slowly. However, as long as it is not over the MAX dot you are fine.

Also, in the future, save yourself some money and just use the motorcraft oil and motorcraft filter. Not full syn but good quality and if you do your changes at least every 5k miles there is 0 reason to have to go to Amsoil. I only use Amsoil in my Cobra and that is only because I routinely spin it past 6,000 rpm and power shift, everything else gets Motorcraft or Wal-Mart Super Tech full synthetic, both are under $3/qt. Just make sure to never use the Fram orange can of death filter whatever you do.
I gave them precisely 6 quarts, which is what it takes, and always ask for the bottles back for my kids' school recycle program. I used Mobil 1 and an Amsoil filter.

Afraid back problems prevent me from crawling around under there for FIY. Used to do it but can't anymore. Yeah, I know people who have had issues w/ the Quickie lube place. Have never and will never use one.

I don't really care about the cost of any of this, just that it is done right.