Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Freshman User

BumpDraft2007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine Oil Level - Overfilled?

Brought my own Mobil 1 and Amsoil filter to the dealer to change along w/ getting several needed service items done. Checked the oil level this AM (cold engine) and it indicates the level is OVER the MAX dot on the dipstick. I noticed that the hash marks on the stick do not go all the way up to teh MAX dot. Presuming they overfilled. Why would they do that?! Oil pressure gauge seems to indicate normal. Help/advice/opinions appreciated.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Senior User

ScottyDsntKnow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Eh, don't get me started on horror stories I've seen/heard from getting oil changed instead of DIY... Not to mention that the factory oil guage is not really a guage at all, its just there to make people feel better honestly. The factory sensor for oil pressure is simply an on/off switch set to come on at 6 psi which is stupidly low for oil pressure. So the gauge will read Normal when there is 6+ psi regardless if it is actually 6 psi or 40 psi.

Qwik lubes/jiffy lube/wherever use untrained basically slave labor to do oil changes and dealers are not much better. My father in law works at a very well known and huge Honda dealer around here and he is always telling me how the kids they hire to do the oil changes make him laugh. What might have happened with your truck is they just dumped all the oil you brought in thinking that you knew the exact amount to give them or wanted it all in there? If the oil is substantially higher than the max dot then you might have to get dirty and oily crawling under there and cracking the drain bolt open to let some out slowly. However, as long as it is not over the MAX dot you are fine.

Also, in the future, save yourself some money and just use the motorcraft oil and motorcraft filter. Not full syn but good quality and if you do your changes at least every 5k miles there is 0 reason to have to go to Amsoil. I only use Amsoil in my Cobra and that is only because I routinely spin it past 6,000 rpm and power shift, everything else gets Motorcraft or Wal-Mart Super Tech full synthetic, both are under $3/qt. Just make sure to never use the Fram orange can of death filter whatever you do.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Posting Guru

fred_79f250 has a great reputation on FTE.fred_79f250 has a great reputation on FTE.fred_79f250 has a great reputation on FTE.fred_79f250 has a great reputation on FTE.fred_79f250 has a great reputation on FTE.
The hash marks are there to help the oil stick to the dip stick long enough for you to check it.

The max dot (or hole) really is the maximum level, not the top of the hash marks.

If it's just a millimetre above the max dot, that's fine. If it's much over that, it can cause problems, some serious. A grossly overfilled engine can see oil pushed up into cylinders and burned with the gas, for example.

The beauty is, it's a simple fix - just let some out.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDsntKnow View Post
Eh, don't get me started on horror stories I've seen/heard from getting oil changed instead of DIY... Not to mention that the factory oil guage is not really a guage at all, its just there to make people feel better honestly. The factory sensor for oil pressure is simply an on/off switch set to come on at 6 psi which is stupidly low for oil pressure. So the gauge will read Normal when there is 6+ psi regardless if it is actually 6 psi or 40 psi.

Qwik lubes/jiffy lube/wherever use untrained basically slave labor to do oil changes and dealers are not much better. My father in law works at a very well known and huge Honda dealer around here and he is always telling me how the kids they hire to do the oil changes make him laugh. What might have happened with your truck is they just dumped all the oil you brought in thinking that you knew the exact amount to give them or wanted it all in there? If the oil is substantially higher than the max dot then you might have to get dirty and oily crawling under there and cracking the drain bolt open to let some out slowly. However, as long as it is not over the MAX dot you are fine.

Also, in the future, save yourself some money and just use the motorcraft oil and motorcraft filter. Not full syn but good quality and if you do your changes at least every 5k miles there is 0 reason to have to go to Amsoil. I only use Amsoil in my Cobra and that is only because I routinely spin it past 6,000 rpm and power shift, everything else gets Motorcraft or Wal-Mart Super Tech full synthetic, both are under $3/qt. Just make sure to never use the Fram orange can of death filter whatever you do.
I gave them precisely 6 quarts, which is what it takes, and always ask for the bottles back for my kids' school recycle program. I used Mobil 1 and an Amsoil filter.

Afraid back problems prevent me from crawling around under there for FIY. Used to do it but can't anymore. Yeah, I know people who have had issues w/ the Quickie lube place. Have never and will never use one.

I don't really care about the cost of any of this, just that it is done right.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Most people are under the assumption that a filter always equals one quart of oil, yet it doesn't. If the crankcase holds 5 quarts, they'll just dump in 6 quarts and be done with it. The engines are designed to take a bit of overfill to compensate for this, so don't worry about it. Just drive and eventually the level will drop and you'll add a quart and feel right at home again.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
Most people are under the assumption that a filter always equals one quart of oil, yet it doesn't. If the crankcase holds 5 quarts, they'll just dump in 6 quarts and be done with it. The engines are designed to take a bit of overfill to compensate for this, so don't worry about it. Just drive and eventually the level will drop and you'll add a quart and feel right at home again.
Yeah - and I was also just thinking that if the amount of oil represented between the dots on the dipstick is what - one quart? Then it is a non-issue.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpDraft2007 View Post
between the dots on the dipstick is what - one quart? Then it is a non-issue.
On my 97 it's 2 quarts between the add and full dots.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Senior User

Quote:
I have never ever heard of this or been taught this way. Why would anyone do it this way and not just bust out the oft unused book called an owner's manual? Says right there exactly how much to put in. No guessing, no overfilling, no underfilling etc...
Old 05-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Post Fiend

Half the people out there don't have an owner's manual, and the half that do have no idea that the oil capacity is listed in there.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Half the people out there don't have an owner's manual, and the half that do have no idea that the oil capacity is listed in there.
I've always had one in every used car I've bought, even my old 1995 SHO had one in the glovebox lol.

But QFT on almost everyone who does have one never reading it. I just spent $150 on ALL the fluids I'll need to do both diffs/transfer case/tranny and that handy dandy manual told me exactly how much to get and what spec etc... Only things I had to research is any updates like the rear to 75w-140 and Mercon V for the transfer case.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Posting Guru

cdherman is starting off with a positive reputation.
You might want to make sure they replaced the filter. If some lazy @ss just drained the oil and dropped 6 quarts of amsoil in there, then you have too much oil in there and an old filter, plus grounds to take it back to the dealer.

On the other hand, if the filter's been changed, and you only gave them 6 q, then I think you are OK. They might not have allowed the oil time to drain down compeltely, or didn't remove the filter with the drain plug still out -- that last step gets omitted often.

Some vehicles (I don't remember if the expy is one of them, but I alway follow the rules) will flow some oil back into the pan ONLY after you remove the filter. It breaks a vacumn somewhere in the oil passages. Its only a few ounces, but I like to get as much of the oil stuff out as possible. Anyhow, might be that it does not even apply to the Expy, but its my routine regardless.....
Old 05-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdherman View Post
You might want to make sure they replaced the filter. If some lazy @ss just drained the oil and dropped 6 quarts of amsoil in there, then you have too much oil in there and an old filter, plus grounds to take it back to the dealer.

On the other hand, if the filter's been changed, and you only gave them 6 q, then I think you are OK. They might not have allowed the oil time to drain down compeltely, or didn't remove the filter with the drain plug still out -- that last step gets omitted often.

Some vehicles (I don't remember if the expy is one of them, but I alway follow the rules) will flow some oil back into the pan ONLY after you remove the filter. It breaks a vacumn somewhere in the oil passages. Its only a few ounces, but I like to get as much of the oil stuff out as possible. Anyhow, might be that it does not even apply to the Expy, but its my routine regardless.....
Ok - these posts all make sense. I think I am ok on the level in there - based on advice here. Much obliged - thanks to all.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdherman View Post

You seriously don't know how many times I've heard this happening at qwickie lube places. Since most people who take their cars in will never check the oil and some filters are in STUPID to reach places, yeah the 18 year old making minimum wage at these places is very apt to just drain/fill and go back to talking about how drunk they are going to get on "Thirsty Thursday" and who is going to get them the booze.

I know not everyone can work on their own vehicles even if they know how, it just scares the hell out of me to trust my car to a mechanic unless it is someone I know personally. For oil and brakes, try to find a friend or family member who will work for beer and you supply the parts/fluids lol.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Post Fiend

big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Like was mentioned before, if your a wee bit over that full mark you'll be fine. Sometimes while adding some oil between my oil changes I might go over a smidge, it will eventuailly settle back to its mark. Check it again in a few days per some mileage to see where its at.
Mike's 03 [font=Verdana]F-250 7.3 CC SB XLT 4x4 Auto and just joined the 229,000 miles and counting. [font=Comic Sans MS]PAA#26 Wife's: Whoops, I mean an 08 (Explorer) Eddie B. 4.0 v6 4x4 109,000
Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2011, 302, 370, 67, diesel, engine, f250, filled, ford, high, level, oil, overfill, overfilling, quart, truck