View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM
FordProTrucks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Propane Problem Please Help

Hello, my son has a 1999 Ford F-150 with a GFI Dual Fuel conversion LPG/Gasoline. The truck has about 30K original miles. Here is the problem. We live in California and under the rule of CARB. There is a warning light on the dash which won't allow the vehicle to pass the SMOG Test. I took it to the Ford dealer and they told me the trouble codes indicate I have to replace the Propane Compuvalve. But this is for starters. There may be one or more components that may also require replacement starting price ~$4,000. I understand these Compuvalves are notorious for failure as well as being near impossible to find also this would be tough money for my son.

Here is what I would like to do. I would like to remove the conversion and make it a straight gasoline truck. I understand, I think, the PCM is the same for gasoline only it has a program downloaded "Flashed" for the propane module. It seems to me a gasoline wiring harness could be installed and the PCM re-flashed for gasoline taking the propane off-line. I am not sure what else might have to be done to accomplish this or if it will work. Any and all advise would be appreciated. Looking forward to your help. Thank you. Rich