Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 PM
New User

FordProTrucks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Big Propane Problem Please Help

Hello, my son has a 1999 Ford F-150 with a GFI Dual Fuel conversion LPG/Gasoline. The truck has about 30K original miles. Here is the problem. We live in California and under the rule of CARB. There is a warning light on the dash which won't allow the vehicle to pass the SMOG Test. I took it to the Ford dealer and they told me the trouble codes indicate I have to replace the Propane Compuvalve. But this is for starters. There may be one or more components that may also require replacement starting price ~$4,000. I understand these Compuvalves are notorious for failure as well as being near impossible to find also this would be tough money for my son.

Here is what I would like to do. I would like to remove the conversion and make it a straight gasoline truck. I understand, I think, the PCM is the same for gasoline only it has a program downloaded "Flashed" for the propane module. It seems to me a gasoline wiring harness could be installed and the PCM re-flashed for gasoline taking the propane off-line. I am not sure what else might have to be done to accomplish this or if it will work. Any and all advise would be appreciated. Looking forward to your help. Thank you. Rich
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Put the truck on ebay and sell it out of state. I'm afraid you may be in trouble with CARB if you try and convert it to a gasoline only system since it was originally certified dual fuel. Talk to a referee smog check station before you spend any money on your idea.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Elder User

gasman6674 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It won't pass on gasoline only? Its Bi-fuel correct? Or do they have to check on both fuels? I am not familar with that system so I am not much help trobleshooting but you might contact a local LP dealer for a referall to a good Non-dealer mechanic.
Then if all else fails sell it out of state.

Good luck
2012 Escape Ltd FWD,2004 Escape Ltd FWD,2012 Ridgeline by Yellowstone Fifth Wheel, (For Sale 1996 F350 7.3L CCLB DRW)
Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 PM
New User

FordProTrucks is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was told by the local smog check that they do not check the vehicle running on propane. They are directed by the computer. I've called every ford dealer in a 300 mile radius and contacted several Propane Conversion companies. No body yet has been able to offer advise. The CARB Referee stated that after, repairs are attempted and a large fee is paid they will give you 2 more years to drive the vehicle. At that point it must be repaired to pass smog or scrapped. Hard luck.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Senior User

EXCURSIONATOR1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The large fee in il. I think is $400
Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Posting Guru

kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
what single part on a propane system could be worth 4000 dollars ?? my bronco was converted to propane for less then 1200 for a new system ..is this just a case of "they can't be bothered to learn to fix it??" or is the EPA /CARB that difficult to work with ?? we hear storys ..but can't believe it is that insane ..you would have to scrap a 10 year old truck because of a smog test?? at 30,000 mils ..strange place you live in....
Old 10-26-2011, 04:13 AM
New User

skottarino is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile

There is a warning light on the dash which won't allow the vehicle to pass the SMOG Test.

Remove the light bulb...
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Posting Guru

kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
so what has happened with the smog check ..any resaloution to the problem
Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skottarino View Post
There is a warning light on the dash which won't allow the vehicle to pass the SMOG Test.

Remove the light bulb...
The bulb has to light up when you first turn the ignition key, or it fails right there. Anyway, part of the test sequence is a code scan. If there are any codes that would throw a Check Engine light, no pass.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
Ford parts are presumably much more expensive than old-school LP setups.

With that much money at stake I'd find a good gasoline truck with cosmetic damage and use the cherry 99 for an organ donor then part the rest out if I had to have an F150.

If I didn't have to have an F150 I'd sell it "parts only". Used car dealers often buy "parts only" vehicles because one can fix two or three wrecks. They send the stripped cab to the crusher when done, and those year trucks are very popular.

If you do the "pay large fee then scrap" method, I'd strip that truck bare and scrap the cab and frame in accordance with regs. (Find a printed copy, accept no verbal answer since it's a LEGAL question!)
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 PM