View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 05:33 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBadBob
I brought in my Expedition to my local Xpress Lube for a transmission flush. The bad news is, the service guy told me he did NOT have the MERCON SP ATF made specifically for this transmission. He said either go to the dealer to buy the Motorcraft Mercon SP fluid or buy a generic version from an auto parts store. I stopped by at "O'Reilly Auto Parts" and did find a Mercon SP approved fluid made by "Global". I've never heard of that brand before, however, should I really be putting this aftermarket type fluid in my transmission? What are the risks?

Also, I asked if my 07 had a transmission filter and turns out it does. I could not find a part number for this in the owner's guide, which is odd. Why would Ford omit this from the owner's guide? The guy pulled up 2 different types of tranny filters on his computer that fit an 07 Expediton, but he couldn't figure out which one was the right one for my vehicle. Any suggestions?
I'm not so certain that I would use a generic fluid. A complete flush at a Ford dealer runs $159.99 in my area. i'll bet that most are near that.

You may have to do the work and remove the filter and take it to the parts guy so he can match it. What a PITA.

Considering that volume that these transmissions and torque converters hold and the cost per quart of the Mercon product, a flush is only a few dollars more, 99% of the fluid is exchanged and you don't have to do the work.