View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 02:37 AM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turbohunter
I hear you.
I'm not a six cylinder guy so I would go with an eight cylinder unless it is a cherry truck worth keeping as is.
Electronic ignition is a great start.
I'm only familiar with the Pertronix stuff which I have used a couple times.
It works great.
As far as tranny stuff goes. That's a whole world of what ifs. Lots of revs at 60 mph sucks on the road. Local driving not bad.
On alternators I tend to go high output so that I can add on later. That would be the only thing I care about.
Disc brakes are great however I didn't go that way on my truck. I stayed with the drums and added a new master cylinder and power assist for two reasons. The drums work great and stop on a dime plus with all the other work I was doing on my truck I didn't want to spend the money unnecessarily. My truck does have the big drums though so yours is probably different since you have a six.
One more thought. You said you are OK with the armstrong steering. I thought I was too. But after a while it gets a bit tedious, especially in the tiny little parking spaces we have to deal with these days.
Cheers

Question for you, how often do you lube your steering box? I lube mine about every 3-4 months, and that makes a big difference in the ease of steering, well that and lubing the front end as it should be on a regular basis. My daughter is 5' tall and just about 100 lbs, and she drives my 64 with no power steering. If the front end is lubed properly, and adjusted properly it should be no big deal... and don't forget to lube the king pins too!