Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   What did you do to the X today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/980894-what-did-you-do-to-the-x-today.html)

hav24wheel 11-22-2016 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 05MilMachine (Post 16740466)
I changed my external trans filter today. I wanted to get a larger FL1A compatible filter on there to replace the tiny one I had on there. I had planned to use a black Wix filter so it would hide better behind the grille, but I had a friend give me a new Fram Ultra Synthetic, and the reviews I found on it seem favorable, so I used it. Not much fluid lost other than what was in the filter and the elbows of the lines. I did cut open the old filter, but I did a hack job and got paint flakes all over it, so no pics of that mess. It was clean if not only slightly darkened, as I would expect with only 8K of use on it. The discolored header panel is from plastic treatment applied to the grille this summer. I went ahead and wiped the whole thing down with it to calm the OCD in me before putting the grille back on.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...7d9973813c.jpg

I'm still confused as to why you would hang a filter where it required pulling the grill to change.. I change my external filter every oil change, so to me it would be a bit excessive pulling that every time.

05MilMachine 11-22-2016 08:55 PM

It's four tiny bolts and some clips. Takes less than a minute. I was playing with the idea of cooler air blowing across the filter. One good reason was it was very easy to route the lines and mount it here. No drilling in the frame. I only plan on doing it once a year so it's not a big deal.

Daewoo 11-22-2016 10:56 PM

I stuck some Gordon Lightfoot in the cassette deck shifted into low range and plowed out my cousin's driveway (no pics because it was dark).

LivingLarge 11-23-2016 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Daewoo (Post 16741599)
I stuck some Gordon Lightfoot in the cassette deck shifted into low range and plowed out my cousin's driveway (no pics because it was dark).

Now that's od school, I haven't seen a cassette in years :-X04

IMASAP 11-23-2016 08:29 AM

Got a call this morning from the :oval dealer. My F650 dash panel is finally in .... only a 6 week wait on back order. Looking forward to picking it up early next week.

:):)

KY60 11-23-2016 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed a little fire extinguisher next to the drivers seat, may pick up another one for the passenger side. Peace of mind for only $10.99 at the PX. Pulled the panel and put in a backing plate for the screws, so hopefully it stays in place.

hav24wheel 11-23-2016 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 05MilMachine (Post 16741182)
It's four tiny bolts and some clips. Takes less than a minute. I was playing with the idea of cooler air blowing across the filter. One good reason was it was very easy to route the lines and mount it here. No drilling in the frame. I only plan on doing it once a year so it's not a big deal.

Got ya.. mine was a bit of a pain to get bolted into place on the inside of the frame, but my luck if I mounted it to plastic, I'd end up breaking it off some how when removing the filter. Lol

James Cox 11-23-2016 10:18 AM

Dual battery in an Ex

I've been wanting to add a 2nday battery to my Ex for sometime, but I'm scratching my head as to where to put it under the hood. Reason being is for outdoor time around the camp fire, you know the ones where a few to many cold adult beverages get drank and you forget to turn the truck on to charge the battery or you pass out and wake up to a dead truck. Thank God for jumper cables. Also I've got a rather decent stero system and the family and I enjoy going to the drive in theater, which drains the battery super quick, plus no one enjoys listening to other people's rigs run while trying to watch a movie.

I'm sure someone here has done so before and I'm curious as to how you set it up.

05MilMachine 11-23-2016 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by hav24wheel (Post 16742343)
Got ya.. mine was a bit of a pain to get bolted into place on the inside of the frame, but my luck if I mounted it to plastic, I'd end up breaking it off some how when removing the filter. Lol

That was a fear I had with it cracking/breaking, but this header panel is some pretty thixk heavy duty stuff. It's solid and I have confidence now that I have done a filter change on it.

seijirou 11-23-2016 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by James Cox (Post 16742421)
I've been wanting to add a 2nday battery to my Ex for sometime, but I'm scratching my head as to where to put it under the hood. Reason being is for outdoor time around the camp fire, you know the ones where a few to many cold adult beverages get drank and you forget to turn the truck on to charge the battery or you pass out and wake up to a dead truck. Thank God for jumper cables. Also I've got a rather decent stero system and the family and I enjoy going to the drive in theater, which drains the battery super quick, plus no one enjoys listening to other people's rigs run while trying to watch a movie.

I'm sure someone here has done so before and I'm curious as to how you set it up.

You'll want to figure out where to put things but the design is simple.

Get a starter solenoid for a 1987 Ford Mustang with the 5.0 v8 (302ci). Lots of other Fords used the same thing, I just know that vehicle in particular uses it.

Get a basic toggle switch. Single pole single throw.

Connect the 2nd battery ground to the chassis or block.
Install the solenoid so that the base of it is grounded.
Connect the positive of the 2nd battery to one of the large posts on the solenoid.
Connect the positive of the original battery to the other large post of the solenoid.
Install the switch with one side connected to the 2nd battery positive with a fuse close to the battery, and the other side to the small post on the solenoid.

Turning the switch on will use the 2nd battery's power to engage the solenoid and connect the 2nd battery to the system in the same way jumper cables do.
​​​​​​

Stewart_H 11-23-2016 12:28 PM

I've been wanting to add a 2nday battery to my Ex for sometime, but I'm scratching my head as to where to put it under the hood.

If you're sure you want it underhood, then set it up like the diesel rigs are. It'll take some manipulation of your gasser rig, but it can be done, you'll just have to be creative when you move whatever is the gassers have in the way.

If you wanna go under the Ex, get a battery box and wire it in.

Stewart

LivingLarge 11-23-2016 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 16742685)
If you're sure you want it underhood, then set it up like the diesel rigs are. It'll take some manipulation of your gasser rig, but it can be done, you'll just have to be creative when you move whatever is the gassers have in the way.

If you wanna go under the Ex, get a battery box and wire it in.

Stewart

I'm pretty sure Sean did this under the hood Stewart... wpnaes

WE3ZS 11-23-2016 08:17 PM

Here is a conversation about the OEM frame mounted battery box from the diesel Econoline vans and cutaways.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ttery-box.html

And there is the Torklift HiddenPower frame mount battery box.
Under Vehicle Battery Mount - HiddenPower | Torklift International

Romanova 11-23-2016 10:16 PM

Had my fuel pump replaced. While the tank was down, the mechanic noted that the lines were leaking, which would explain why my Ex sometimes left a puddle when pumping gas.
Thankfully, they were able to fix the lines, install a new pump, and a new hose from the filler neck to the tank.

I was surprised to find out that my Excursion is a California model, as the Cali pump part number is listed on the invoice. I was fairly certain my Ex had been a Texas truck its whole life, but maybe not. Oh well, it's clean and rust free.

I had been debating doing the pump myself, but I think the lines might have stumped me. Oh well, good to go now!

Skip1970 11-23-2016 10:59 PM

just carry a battery on the passanger floor when you go do that, and a set of jumper cables. keep it on a maintainer at home.