Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Blue Smoke at Idle ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/974905-blue-smoke-at-idle.html)

royzell 07-17-2010 10:08 PM

Blue Smoke at Idle ?

Hey all,

I'm looking (long distance) at a 94 IDI turbo. He said he has replaced injectors, lines and IP. It smokes at idle but apparently goes away at speed / higher RPM.
I have seen a video of it idling, and the smoke is blue.
Video link
YouTube - MVI_0061.AVI
He thinks it is mis-timing of the IP. I thought that would make black smoke.

Thoughts / Ideas ?

charleswood6969 07-17-2010 10:46 PM

If it has new injectors, pump and lines, I would check the compression. Low compression equals incomplete fuel combustion because of low cylinder temperature. I would also check the CDR valve because it could be oil being sucked in and burned thru it. What about abnormal oil usage?

charleswood6969 07-17-2010 10:54 PM

Oh, and if it has a turbo, I would suspect it has possibly blown a seal. Check inside of the intake piping from the turbo to the engine for oil.

Festus Hagen 07-17-2010 11:07 PM

Blue smoke is typically motor oil, Could be Turbo seals, Need to find out if there is any motor oil in the intake system anywhere ...

A little blue smoke wouldn't scare me away, a little blue smoke is likely a little problem, heavy blue smoke could be one to run from!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

David85 07-18-2010 01:30 AM

Seems to idle pretty good.......hmm.

Timing being off can produce blue smoke but I kinda doubt it could make that much to be so visible on a camera like that. Unless he removed the drive gear and messed up the timing that far...

I would definately have a look at the CDR valve and see what sort of blow by is to be found. Too bad you can't truly observe oil consumption on a test drive.

Turbo seals could certainly do that too.

From what I've seen burning oil in small amounts can burn clean once you are running under load with high enough EGTs. Timing being off at least with my engine still produces colored smoke even under load.

maverick1701 03-08-2012 03:24 AM

hmmm my truck has started doing that same thing at idle.
Time to check ye ole CDR and everything yay.

eatont9999 03-08-2012 04:41 PM

Nice looking truck.

I agree with the guys above. CDR, turbo seals, or timing could cause that. So could a bad injector or two. Unless he put a timing meter on it, after the IP install, it probably needs the timing set anyway.

Aune163rd 03-08-2012 06:07 PM

Old thread, i doubt the OP bought the truck guys...

maverick1701 03-08-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Aune163rd (Post 11548126)
Old thread, i doubt the OP bought the truck guys...

yea, we know. I bumped the thread because my truck is acting in a similar fashion. We are talking about it now.