Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Aux Engine Oil Cooler? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/932778-aux-engine-oil-cooler.html)

agp23109 02-21-2010 07:40 PM

Aux Engine Oil Cooler?

I saw a post about some asking about rebuilding their oil cooler. It got me thinking is anyone running an aux engine oil cooler? If so how did you do it? Since the engine uses oil as a cooling agent I figured it wouldn't hurt to have an aux cooler. I searched the forum but did not find anything.

87crewdually 02-21-2010 08:17 PM

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/700/771/771-40110.jpg

It's funny you should ask. While skimming through the latest JEGS catalog, i saw an oil cooler/filter setup that is actually 6.9/7.3 IDI specific. I couldn't believe it. It gives you remote dual filters, cooler, lines, fittings, and adapter. It's NOT everyday you see something specific like this in a catalog like this. Check It Out: 771-40110 - JEGS High Performance

WarOzz 02-21-2010 09:58 PM

That's one nice looking kit! If I end up doing a lot of heavy hauling with mine then I might consider this kit. As a daily driver it's probably overkill.

Sycostang67 02-21-2010 10:07 PM

Thats a nice looking kit, now if only there was a way to bypass the factory oil cooler to eliminate all the headaches it causes.

stevilknevil 02-21-2010 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sycostang67 (Post 8546785)
Thats a nice looking kit, now if only there was a way to bypass the factory oil cooler to eliminate all the headaches it causes.

i've been wondering about that too

87crewdually 02-21-2010 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sycostang67 (Post 8546785)

For o-rings having to be replaced after over 20 years of service i don't see any reason to. Plus that oil-coolant cooler is way more effecient than any oil-air cooler. Just that cooler in the kit alone wouldn't be enough to cool the oil on it's own without the stock oil-coolant cooler doing the grunt of the work.

Sycostang67 02-21-2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 87crewdually (Post 8546813)
For o-rings having to be replaced after over 20 years of service i don't see any reason to. Plus that oil-coolant cooler is way more effecient than any oil-air cooler. Just that cooler in the kit alone wouldn't be enough to cool the oil on it's own without the stock oil-coolant cooler doing the grunt of the work.

You are probably right, but looking at it and reading all the wonderful posts about it really make me fear having to service the darn thing. :-X13

87crewdually 02-21-2010 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sycostang67 (Post 8546829)
You are probably right, but looking at it and reading all the wonderful posts about it really make me fear having to service the darn thing. :-X13

It's nothing. Don't sweat it. If it worries you that much gather the parts now and doit the next time your sittin around looking for something to do. Plenty of petroleum jelly on the rings and it goes right together while keeping everything square. When you reinstall don't use any silicone sealent on the gaskets but DO use thread sealent on the bolts because they go into the water jacket. Cake job.

stevilknevil 02-21-2010 10:32 PM

are the elements still real expensive?

starmilt 02-21-2010 11:42 PM

Headaches they usually out last two gas engines, kinda like return lines they will usually last as long as a lot of gas engines,

kenpobuck 02-22-2010 08:32 PM

Mine is still going strong and I even baked it lol! When I was getting this engine ready for the swap I pulled the cooler and cleaned it then put on high temp grill paint. You have to get it up to 450 degrees to cure so I put it in the oven and baked it. Needless to say my baby didn't think it was all tyhat funny as it let a strange smell in the oven lol! That was the first and last time I ever cleaned an oven!

tlk50 02-22-2010 09:53 PM

Yep Kenpobuck, mine really really really hated me washing my carb clean dunked carburetor parts in the dishwasher. The red hair became flaming red and the loving-affection thermometer dropped to 300 below in an instant. I though every freckle on her face was going to explode. Sorta like a diesel on gasoline, a total berserk runaway. Needless to say I only did it once.

FORDF250HDXLT 06-22-2013 04:00 PM

link no longer works.anyone know the brand and part number of the kit?
crewdually,you abandoned us for a 6.oh no! the blasphemy.:D
did you keep the old idi rig around?

hmm.i wonder if they make those remote oil filter/cooler adapters with a temp sender port too.maybe it doesn't matter much,but one would think the best place to grab oil temps would be right down low there.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=132855
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=132854

87crewdually 06-22-2013 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT (Post 13277214)

hmm.i wonder if they make those remote oil filter/cooler adapters with a temp sender port too.maybe it doesn't matter much,but one would think the best place to grab oil temps would be right down low there.

You caught me! I still have the 4x4 project truck but did sell the crew dually. As soon as a friend found out about the 6.0, he wanted the 6.9. I didn't blame him and I miss it dearly but I do have visitation & buy-back rights. The first week of owning the newer truck I did necessary known issues such as dummy plugs and HPOP. Been great making trips to Florida, Tennessee, Pa, all with the 5er in tow. I'm always looking for a clean 87 to pickup for a project, we will see. I still check in but rarely. Just no time.
Hope all is well with all that I communicated with during my era.

As far as a temp sensor port, nothing a drill bit and 1/8" NPT tap can't fix.

87crewdually 06-22-2013 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT (Post 13277214)

You caught me! I still have the 4x4 project truck but did sell the crew dually. As soon as a friend found out about the 6.0, he wanted the 6.9. I didn't blame him and I miss it dearly but I do have visitation & buy-back rights. The first week of owning the newer truck I did necessary known issues such as dummy plugs and HPOP. Been great making trips to Florida, Tennessee, Pa, all with the 5er in tow. I'm always looking for a clean 87 to pickup for a project, we will see. I still check in but rarely. Just no time.
Hope all is well with all that I communicated with during my era.

As far as a temp sensor port, nothing a drill bit and 1/8" NPT tap can't fix.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quickvw...n/photostream/