Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Trans Builder says Alto Red Eagle is junk? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/927395-trans-builder-says-alto-red-eagle-is-junk.html)

lossscause 02-04-2010 08:44 AM

Trans Builder says Alto Red Eagle is junk?

My trans builder calls me today and says these clutches are junk. He says he only uses Raybestos or Borg Warner. He also said the only reason they can fit "extra" clutches in the tranny is because they make them thinner, which allows them to heat up and warp easier. He is also saying they are re-lined, whereas the Raybestos clutches are new.

Tell me what you think. I need to make a decision today.

DZL JIM 02-04-2010 09:13 AM

Call and talk with Bill at RacerX. If he says they are re-lined then so be it. If he says they are new and are a good clutch, then so be it.

Alto Red clutches are all over the drag racing world, and they are, in general, not junk...

MADVAN 02-04-2010 10:03 AM

I have NEVER seen or HEARD of re-lined clutch disks
for the E4. Sounds like your trans builder is questionable.
He is not building a hand shaker.

Talk to bill. He cuts no corners.

Bill

Action4478 02-04-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MADVAN (Post 8465935)

Talk to bill. He cuts no corners.

Bill

......X 3...........:-X22

Welk49 02-04-2010 10:58 AM

I would have to question your builder on this. I used those clutches when I had mine rebuilt and was told they were one of the best clutches. I did a lot of research and bought my own parts when I had mine done. But call up Racer X and talk to them about them.

Racer-X 02-04-2010 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by lossscause (Post 8465611)
My trans builder calls me today and says these clutches are junk. He says he only uses Raybestos or Borg Warner. He also said the only reason they can fit "extra" clutches in the tranny is because they make them thinner, which allows them to heat up and warp easier. He is also saying they are re-lined, whereas the Raybestos clutches are new.

Tell me what you think. I need to make a decision today.

Maverick has the ball now. My .02 taught by the best is:

A cutting torch itself is made of: METAL.... So, how can a cutting torch, burn and cut metal? :D

Borg Warner and Raybestos make OEM quality clutches. Both also make other automotive parts other than clutches.

Raybestos clutches are also available in higher quality grades than OEM. Most anyone can acquire them.

All Alto clutch and steel materials are higher quality grades than OEM. They also manufacture every clutch used by the U.S. Dept of Defense. Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines. Alto manufactures more clutches than anyone for anything from industrial equipment to you name it. From the largest machines used in mining and industry to construction equipment that can knock down your house with only 60 hp. Such as a 16,500lb bull dozer a single rear axle full size diesel truck can be taught to move anywhere on a 5,500lb trailer configured correctly. : )

Not everyone can acquire or represent Alto's Legendary High Performance product line. That's a fact.

The bottom line with most machines is it's easy to destroy them. Less than 30 seconds is it without it's life blood. How to make it survive the extreme is technical tour-de-force! :-drink

~

Action4478 02-04-2010 02:18 PM

X, good to see you ....;)

Racer-X 02-05-2010 11:06 AM

Big John Power On Board

Dedicated to Racer, DZL JIM, All innovators, trailblazers, logistics & Peneske type people everywhere. :)

Photo: John's 60 hp. turbo diesel fires up and shoots a 5 gallon bucket 10 feet in the air off the open exhaust. LOL John's aboard to go have stainless exhaust tubing bent to fit. John has Alto clutches. So does the horse up front. The horse runs em with the cure too. :)

http://www.racerxpower.com/images/li...p.on.board.jpg

Maverick--out.

~

Action4478 02-05-2010 11:16 AM

That looks just like my JD, 3 cyl non turbo 350

knash0727 02-05-2010 11:40 AM

I have only have heard good things about these clutches.

Racer-X 02-05-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Action4478 (Post 8471490)
That looks just like my JD, 3 cyl non turbo 350

Hey, There's no steering wheel...:confused: LOL :)

450 turbo diesel, pto winch on the tail, 6 way hydraulic blade, limb risers, full brush cage with roll bars, full automatic--aka hydrostatic power train. John shifts on the fly or reverses direction without stopping. :)

Maverick--out.
~

Action4478 02-05-2010 02:10 PM

About the same as mine , no winch, 70 or so vintage ...