Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   changing batteries on a diesel X (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/908456-changing-batteries-on-a-diesel-x.html)

Love Diesel X 12-06-2009 10:38 AM

changing batteries on a diesel X

Is there a preferred process when installing new batteries on the diesel to not lose the electronic settings?? keypad, radio, etc??

Thanx!

soutthpaw 12-06-2009 10:41 AM

as long as you only change one at a time and leave the other connected you wont loose your settings .. remember that the + side will be live the whole time so don t touch it to the chassis or metal parts

Love Diesel X 12-06-2009 10:47 AM

Thanx for the fast response

katiesdad7 12-06-2009 06:13 PM

Walmart batteries are good and cheap.

njstevens 12-10-2009 09:35 AM

Make sure you buy a quality set of batteries. Especially if you live somewhere it gets pretty cold. Takes a lot fo juice to egt the glow plugs gowing and to crank that diesel. I have alwasy believed you pay peanuts you will get monkeys when it comes to batteries.

psajunk 12-10-2009 11:07 AM

Mine too

170k miles on 2004 EB.

Looking at Optima yellow tops, Do I need to replace both together?

Dealer said only pass. side tested bad?

Thanks

Stewart_H 12-10-2009 01:58 PM

If you can afford it, rule of thumb is to replace both at same time.

Stewart

Downriver Thunder 12-10-2009 02:21 PM

Odyssey PC1750T

Try these, pricey but awesome. Also, when I changed the battery in my 250 I never lost any settings on the keypad or radio but radio is stock. Just had to reset time which is no biggy.

m350 12-11-2009 08:06 AM

Last yr,,,October or so,,my 06' F-350 six-O,,,had a sluggish start when getting cold,,,checked batteries,,,Pass side,,battery was toast,,,Driverside was fine,,,so I just replaced the one battery,,,,,as of Now,1 yr plus later,,,driverside original battery still going strong ! I replaced the bad one with another MotorCraft original type 850 CCA I beleive. Good Luck!

I have heard of mixed opinion's on Optima Batteries,,,and one opinion was from a Store clerk ,,,where they Sell and see the returns of the Optima batteries ! Good Luck !

X-Hibition 12-11-2009 01:24 PM

Eight years on the Optima in my Sub, and it is just now time to replace. I think I made out well.

And the preferred method for diesel battery swaps is to change both at the same time. Leaving a weaker, older battery in place will negatively (battery humor!!) impact the fresh, new one. You own a diesel, spend the money.

Stewart_H 12-11-2009 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Downriver Thunder (Post 8226320)
Odyssey PC1750T

Try these, pricey but awesome. Also, when I changed the battery in my 250 I never lost any settings on the keypad or radio but radio is stock. Just had to reset time which is no biggy.

$265 for one battery! Pricey is an understatement!

In a cost vs. cost scenerio, unless they can guarantee that battery will last AT LEAST 12 years, there's no way it's worth it for a normal, everyday driven vehicle with normal electrical demands.

Stewart

BigBlue15 12-13-2009 12:31 PM

Just the same as you would never want to replace just one tire on the same axle you always want to replace both batteries. Ultimately the older battery will tax the newer one. Your best bet is to find a gasser and put your second still good battery in that rig. And just my opinion of course, had the yellow top optima batteries and i say leave em on the shelf. Running two MTP65 Interstates and they are treating me well so far.

jdadamsjr 12-14-2009 09:38 AM

When the 05's batteries went south after 5 yrs, the Walmart replacements were an inexpensive and easy fix... $74 apiece and they swapped them out while I shopped :)

Sometimes paying more is just paying more :) :) :)