Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   EFI to CARB conversion help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/898343-efi-to-carb-conversion-help.html)

quadracer173 11-01-2009 06:38 AM

EFI to CARB conversion help

i have a 1989 ford f250 351w 5.8L and i am gonna do an efi to carb conversion and i was wondering what is needed and what parts i need to make it a carb

agfordman 11-01-2009 06:56 AM

a intake, carb, mechanical fuel pump, and some fuel line. why do you want to switch? you might want to search!!!!

quadracer173 11-01-2009 07:24 AM

i was told i would need a new ignition and distributor to is that true? and i am doing it as a project for my truck

agfordman 11-01-2009 07:32 AM

ya that is true. is there something wrong with your efi, because by the time you get everthing for your carb swap it would be better just to fix your efi, and also what trans do you have?

1966Tbird 11-01-2009 07:50 AM

don't use a mechanical fuel pump, use your fuel injection pumps and a bypass regulator. run a new return line that is 3/8ths or -6an i would also reccomend using -an line for everything since there is high pressure. russell sells the fittings to hook your return line to your tank and to run a pressure line off of your stock fuel filter. 3/8ths line (fuel filter) 640850 5/16ths line (return line to your fuel tank) 640860 . Use a toggle switch to provide power to your fuel pumps at the enertia switch (located on the firewall behind the brake pedal). Other than that you will need a new distributor, ignition coil, carb, and intake manifold. The green wire that goes to your distributor is your tach wire so cut it and hooko it up accordingly, the white wire is your power to the dissy so hook that up accordingly as well. I also used the white power wire for my electric choke. If you get a HEI distributor you will need an offset aircleaner base and stud. If you have an aod you have to shop up your factory throttle cable bracket and weld it back together so it will hold your throttle cables and your TV cable. They sell things that bolt onto the throttle linkage on a holley with the right ratio and all that good stuff to use with your TV cable on your aod. If you have an e40d then you will need to find a stand alone computer for it which is expensive-it is cheaper to just use a c6 or c4 or stick depending on what you are doing.

quadracer173 11-01-2009 07:51 AM

nothing is wrong with my efi just doing all this for a project.. i have a 4speed with drive manual trans.

quadracer173 11-01-2009 08:00 AM

alright well what would be a good distributor for doing this? and all i would need is a distributor,ignition coil, carb, and intake manifold?

1966Tbird 11-01-2009 08:01 AM

you'll be fine then, you might want to use a lokar throttle cable or some other brand since the original throttle cable is like 2 feet too long to be used with a carb and look nice, if you use an aftermarket throttle cable then you can also use an aftermarket throttle cable bracket that bolts onto the carb instead of having to weld up your own

quadracer173 11-01-2009 08:04 AM

alright thanks, i was gonna use the msd distributor which one is good for the price?

1966Tbird 11-01-2009 08:08 AM

a good distributor would be an msd one, i have the e-curve because i hate playing with advance springs and shooting them everywhere and losing them. i would not reccomend using a hei distributor they are a pain in the ass to get to clear your aircleaner and then you have to find an advance kit with the correct bushings that i couldn't find anyone who made.

but any of the msd ones are a good shot. i also like mallory distributors but stay away from points distributors the points tend to bounce at high rpms and kill horsepower.

as for the intake manifold you use it depends on what kind of power you are looking for and how well your heads flow...what kind of heads do you have on there? e7 heads? If you have e7 heads don't pick something too crazy since those heads flow like crap even when ported.

For your carb i am going to say between a 650 and 750 if your motor is pretty much stock.

while you are pulling off your fuel injection crap since you already have the motor torn apart all you need to do is pull your rockers off take your pushrods out and pull your lifters then take off the timing chain cover timing chain and the thing that holds your cam in the motor and swap out the cam too, this will give you a big power increase depending on what cam you chose though. Since you are going with a carb there is no restriction on what cam you can run!! it's not like that speed density bull**** lol

1966Tbird 11-01-2009 08:10 AM

with the e-curve distributor you don't need to run an ignition box so you actually save some money by getting the more expensive dissy.

when you add up a msd pro billet dissy + 6al box + ign coil
and add up MSD e-curve dissy + ign coil

the e-curve comes out cheaper and if you want to later on down the road you can always add a box

quadracer173 11-01-2009 08:14 AM

okay i was gonna go with an msd distributor.. and i have stock heads but i am pulling the motor out and i am putting the edelbrock power package top end kit,451hp and 433 ft.lbs which includes intake, cam ,etc the whole kit.. is 600-750cfm carb enough for that

1966Tbird 11-01-2009 08:18 AM

i would use a 750 for that and i would use a 750 mechanical secondary carb since you have a stick. what kind of heads was that package tested with because i would be suprised if stock e7 heads can produce that much power naturally aspirated

i would also talk to patrick at pro systems he will build a good carb for you, i wish i did that instead of using trick fuel

quadracer173 11-01-2009 08:30 AM

it comes with edelbrock heads to repleace the stock ones and also i have a c6 auto trans to put in it so what size carb would be needed? also they do not make an e curve distributor for the 351w

1966Tbird 11-01-2009 08:55 AM

like i said i would talk to patrick at prosystems on monday 727-490-5717. their carbs are a little more expensive than a holley but are made to order and come pre tuned so all you need to do is bolt them on and go. They will be able to tell you better what size carb you need than me since they are experts who do this all day.

since they dont make an e-curve for the 351 i think you'll be alright with this dissy MSD Ignition 8478 - MSD Pro-Billet Street Distributors - Overview - SummitRacing.com just get a msd 6al box and blaster II coil, i like the taylor silicone wires they are really nice and you can cut them to length so they don't look sloppy