Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2009 F250 Lariat Crew Cab Dash Removal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/898093-2009-f250-lariat-crew-cab-dash-removal.html)

mtnbike101 10-31-2009 07:48 AM

2009 F250 Lariat Crew Cab Dash Removal

Hello everyone,

Could someone tell me the procedure to remove the dash, switches, etc. in order to get to the radio wiring harness? My 2004 F150 SCrew was a breeze, but this is a different beast.

Thanks for any insight!

Jeff

LMS Residential 10-31-2009 09:30 AM

Hey Jeff, its actually pretty easy but it would be easdier if you could see thru the dash plate/trim.
First, carefully unclip and remove the power outlet panel (lighter) on the lower drivers side of the central dash pod. Pry easily, it will come out. Directly opposite on the passenger side is a blank(in my XL anyway) identical panel, pry that out too.
That should have exposed (1) 9/32" screw on each side. Remove those. Thats it on fasteners.
The entire center dash cover can then be pried out as its installed with press in clips all the way up. I started at the bottom and carefully pulled forward until it was free, didnt break any clips. The factory radio is held in place with (4) 9/32" screws and you will need to remove that to expose the wiring harness as its on the backside and difficult or impossible to access with the radio in place. Be careful as the factory doesn't give a whole lot of extra wire at the controls, just enough to wiggle things around and out of the way. Hope this helps.

mtnbike101 11-01-2009 09:49 AM

Thanks Ed! I'll give that a try. It's been raining for two days here, so I haven't been able to start any outside projects.

Thanks again!

phudyma 05-09-2013 06:59 PM

What about the nut on the back of the radio?... i have the panel off, the bolts out that hold the head unit in, but there is definitely something holding the radio in.... i managed to snake my dinner plate sized hand in behind ( with only a small loss of skin on my knuckles ) and could feel what seems like an acorn nut on the back of the radio.... any ideas on this would really help... I have an 09 SD and a cd is stuck in the player.... I'd like to get the head unit out to see what i can do about fixing this.....

LMS Residential 05-09-2013 07:37 PM

Are you sure its a factory head unit? On my 08, there was nothing on the backside holding the radio in place. Been a few years but I would have remembered that.

LMS Residential 05-09-2013 07:40 PM

Oops, it may be the antenna cable. Just grab it by the connector portion and give it a tug. Shouldn't keep the head unit from moving at all though.

mudfuel06 05-10-2013 08:01 AM

There is an acorn nut or something similar on the back of the radio, I think it's used to help position the radio in there. I need to get my dash off as well to try and replace the blend door since my truck likes to give me heat in the summer and a/c in the winter.

phudyma 05-10-2013 06:54 PM

yeah, there is definitely some sort of fastener holding the head unit in.... so far everything i've read is just remove the 4 bolts that hold the radio in and it pulls out.... not so, here... any ideas?

crp1911 07-30-2014 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by phudyma (Post 13149595)
yeah, there is definitely some sort of fastener holding the head unit in.... so far everything i've read is just remove the 4 bolts that hold the radio in and it pulls out.... not so, here... any ideas?

Did you ever get a solution to this fastener on the back of the radio?

phudyma 08-03-2014 09:05 PM

never did figure out the issue with removing this head unit..... i have a ton of music on my phone that i just link into with Sync if i feel i need something other than local radio.... but if anyone does have an answer...... please post.