Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   who makes the best tuner/chip and gauges for a '99 PSD (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/893105-who-makes-the-best-tuner-chip-and-gauges-for-a-99-psd.html)

DFD FF 2511 10-14-2009 05:55 PM

who makes the best tuner/chip and gauges for a '99 PSD

i'm not intending to start a pi$$ing contest here, but here's the deal. i'm stepping up from my F-150 SuperCrew and getting my first PSD this coming friday. it's a late '99 (manufactured 7/99) 7.3 auto with 3.73s that's bone stock and has 117k miles on the clock. i'm looking for a tuner that will do the following:

economy tuning (65hp or so)
high idle
EBPV exhaust brake
and high fuel for smoke

i've found a few individual HP chips, and exhaust brake chips, but i'm wanting to be able to do all the above. a flip chip or something similar would be perfect, since i'll occasionally want to run it stock. the truck is gonna be my daily driver, and i'm not looking for a street rod, just something fun and dependable, so i won't need a 100+ hp "extreme" power setting or anything like that. i plan on leaving the transmissoin stock as long as it lasts. i'm wondering who you guys have found to have the most dependable, user/truck-friendly programmers that won't set me back a paycheck. also, i'm looking for a good set of triple cluster A-pillar gauges that are (hopefully) fairly easy to DIY install. any positive input would be great, and thanks in advance. oh, and goodbye sparks plugs, let the black smoke roll... :-D

superduty4x4 10-14-2009 06:00 PM

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_i7IqN0dMk...sCrapAgain.jpg

Search is your friend... this has been discussed a million times over. AFAIK DP Tuner is the only one offering an EBPV/decel tune. Other good tuners- Swamps, PHP, Tony Wildman, BTS.
Gauges- Isspro's from Clay at Riffraff Diesel

Ponyboychris 10-14-2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by superduty4x4 (Post 8035124)

:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

crazymut 10-14-2009 07:15 PM

X2 and welcome aboard. DP Tuner for your tuner and Clay for your Isspro gauges

CSIPSD 10-14-2009 07:39 PM

Swamps, DI, Tony, PHP, any of those are great! Isspro for your gauges.

Groovy Chick 10-14-2009 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by DFD FF 2511 (Post 8035106)
i'm not intending to start a pi$$ing contest here, but here's the deal. i'm stepping up from my F-150 SuperCrew and getting my first PSD this coming friday. it's a late '99 (manufactured 7/99) 7.3 auto with 3.73s that's bone stock and has 117k miles on the clock. i'm looking for a tuner that will do the following:

high idle
EBPV exhaust brake
and high fuel for smoke

i've found a few individual HP chips, and exhaust brake chips, but i'm wanting to be able to do all the above. a flip chip or something similar would be perfect, since i'll occasionally want to run it stock. the truck is gonna be my daily driver, and i'm not looking for a street rod, just something fun and dependable, so i won't need a 100+ hp "extreme" power setting or anything like that. i plan on leaving the transmissoin stock as long as it lasts. i'm wondering who you guys have found to have the most dependable, user/truck-friendly programmers that won't set me back a paycheck. also, i'm looking for a good set of triple cluster A-pillar gauges that are (hopefully) fairly easy to DIY install. any positive input would be great, and thanks in advance. oh, and goodbye sparks plugs, let the black smoke roll... :-D

Sorry, we can help you out with everything but the Decel/Brake tune. If you'd like to find out why we don't you're welcome to check out our FAQs page: Why PHP Doesn't Offer a Decel/Brake Calibration (third question from the bottom). If you decide that a Decel/Brake tune isn't for you, feel free to give us a shout, and we'll be happy to help!

Good luck! :)

Rockrunner86 10-14-2009 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by CSIPSD (Post 8035483)
Swamps, DI, Tony, PHP, any of those are great! Isspro for your gauges.

I agree with Joe. Swamp, DI, Tony, PHP. But would also add Matt from Gear Head..

CSIPSD 10-14-2009 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rockrunner86 (Post 8035597)
I agree with Joe. Swamp, DI, Tony, PHP. But would also add Matt from Gear Head..

Was going to put Matt in there too, but I could not remember his company name!:D

Groovy Chick 10-14-2009 08:14 PM

I checked on Tony's and Matt's websites before I posted, and it's not listed on there, but I think the OP would be thrilled with either one. They're both great tuners and wonderful people! http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...es/2thumbs.gif <---one thumb for each!

hucka1a 10-14-2009 08:35 PM

Another vote for DP-Tuner, great customer service.:-X22

megawatt00 10-14-2009 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by hucka1a (Post 8035759)
Another vote for DP-Tuner, great customer service.:-X22

I agree Huck they have been great to me. My F6 is waiting to be installed with the rest of the goodies this weekend. :-dancing1

DP-Tuner 10-14-2009 08:53 PM

Thanks guys!!! Reps coming your way as soon as I get my netbook out at the hotel. The iPhone is nice, but it takes forever to post from.

Diane

DP-Tuner 10-14-2009 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by DFD FF 2511 (Post 8035106)

high idle
EBPV exhaust brake
and high fuel for smoke

i've found a few individual HP chips, and exhaust brake chips, but i'm wanting to be able to do all the above. a flip chip or something similar would be perfect, since i'll occasionally want to run it stock. the truck is gonna be my daily driver, and i'm not looking for a street rod, just something fun and

dependable, so i won't need a 100+ hp "extreme" power setting or anything like that. i plan on leaving the transmissoin stock as long as it lasts. i
wondering who you guys have found to have the most dependable, user/truck-
friendly programmers that won't set me back a paycheck. also, i'm looking for

a good set of triple cluster A-pillar gauges that are (hopefully) fairly easy to
:-kneeslapDIY install. any positive input would be great, and thanks in
advance. oh, and goodbye sparks plugs, let the black smoke roll... :-
D

just passed charleston, wv 2 minutes ago. :-partybud

Rushmore X 10-14-2009 09:42 PM

When my f5 switch went out on the DP, they sent me a new one free, no questions asked. 50000 + miles ago. no problems since.

PlatinumPete 10-14-2009 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by crazymut (Post 8035370)
X2 and welcome aboard. DP Tuner for your tuner and Clay for your Isspro gauges

X3, I know there are others who do great work with their tunes but I can only speak from my personal experience. I absolutely love my DP tunes, it's like a whole new truck, and their customer service is great. I recently had a small issue with my switcher, purely cosmetic and all my own doing, I e-mailed Diane and she took care of me right away, no questions asked and no charge, not even shipping. As for gauges, I love my ISSPRO's and you won't find a better deal or a better guy to deal with than Clay at RiffRaff.