Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Exhaust fumes in cab (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/891907-exhaust-fumes-in-cab.html)

CruiserClass 10-10-2009 11:11 PM

Exhaust fumes in cab

Today I noticed I'm getting some exhaust smell in the cab while I'm sitting still. Tomorrow I'm going to make sure all the exhaust clamps are tight in the engine compartment and see if there's any obvious leaks.

Anything else in particular I should be looking for?

pbr man 10-10-2009 11:17 PM

It is probably the up pipes to the turbo. The factory pipes tend to leak. The best solution is the new bellowed pipes.

Mine gets some exhaust in the cab when it is cold. I have the bellowed up pipes from Riff Raff Diesel Performance setting on the shelf waiting to "drop in".

mueckster 10-10-2009 11:17 PM

Look for soot at the uppipe joints of the Y collector at the back of the turbo. The donut gaskets are notorious for leaking there. I used to smell exhaust upon start up when mine were leaking.
EDIT: Like said ^^^ IH bellowed uppipes are the best solution to this problem.

pbr man 10-10-2009 11:18 PM

Some how it double posted.

CruiserClass 10-11-2009 05:38 PM

Wow. Those bellowed pipes appear to be rather pricey. I'll probably have this truck for most of eternity, but I drive it about 5k miles a year or less. I might go with the factory set up for the time being.

Didn't those bellowed pipes used to sell for $300 or so fairly recently? Ouch.

crazymut 10-11-2009 06:51 PM

Most likely you will still need new up pipes and the doughnut seals. Might as well go with the bellowed pipes. Usualy the stock pipes, if leaking, are shot when you take them apart.

mueckster 10-11-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by CruiserClass (Post 8024315)
Wow. Those bellowed pipes appear to be rather pricey. I'll probably have this truck for most of eternity, but I drive it about 5k miles a year or less. I might go with the factory set up for the time being.

Didn't those bellowed pipes used to sell for $300 or so fairly recently? Ouch.

I put the factory stuff back on the first time I did this. New donuts pipes, flanges, bolts, and all. I even put a new Y collector on too due to a broken bolt I couldn't get out. 1 1/2 yrs later I was putting on the bellowed uppipes when I was installing my 38R. The factory pipes were already eroded x( at the donuts and leaking. I won't have to worry about that anymore. :)

CruiserClass 10-24-2009 03:32 PM

Finally got around to looking at it today and I got off cheap. Looks like it was just the clamps had stretched and were leaking at the Y tube that goes to the turbo cooler. Tightened them up and cleaned up the soot, then drove around a bit and it seemed to fix the proble. I'll see if the soot comes back, but way better than having to mess with the up pipes.