Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Senior User

CruiserClass is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Exhaust fumes in cab

Today I noticed I'm getting some exhaust smell in the cab while I'm sitting still. Tomorrow I'm going to make sure all the exhaust clamps are tight in the engine compartment and see if there's any obvious leaks.

Anything else in particular I should be looking for?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Elder User

pbr man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It is probably the up pipes to the turbo. The factory pipes tend to leak. The best solution is the new bellowed pipes.

Mine gets some exhaust in the cab when it is cold. I have the bellowed up pipes from Riff Raff Diesel Performance setting on the shelf waiting to "drop in".
Eric 1999 F350 4x4 Super Duty, Crew Cab Long Bed,7.3 Diesel, 6 speed, 4'' Diamond Eye exhaust, 4040 Aeroturbine, Dipricol Optix-boost and pyrometer, AIH delete, Hutch and harpoon, Tuff Country Add a Leaf

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner-liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 PM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Look for soot at the uppipe joints of the Y collector at the back of the turbo. The donut gaskets are notorious for leaking there. I used to smell exhaust upon start up when mine were leaking.
EDIT: Like said ^^^ IH bellowed uppipes are the best solution to this problem.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Elder User

pbr man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Some how it double posted.
Eric 1999 F350 4x4 Super Duty, Crew Cab Long Bed,7.3 Diesel, 6 speed, 4'' Diamond Eye exhaust, 4040 Aeroturbine, Dipricol Optix-boost and pyrometer, AIH delete, Hutch and harpoon, Tuff Country Add a Leaf

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner-liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Senior User

Wow. Those bellowed pipes appear to be rather pricey. I'll probably have this truck for most of eternity, but I drive it about 5k miles a year or less. I might go with the factory set up for the time being.

Didn't those bellowed pipes used to sell for $300 or so fairly recently? Ouch.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Posting Guru

crazymut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.crazymut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Terry Horigan
Most likely you will still need new up pipes and the doughnut seals. Might as well go with the bellowed pipes. Usualy the stock pipes, if leaking, are shot when you take them apart.

PAA #22 RHN Supporter
2001 F250 PSD, 4x4, auto, xcab, Power Slot rotors, Hawk pads, 6637 KWIK, Petes cover, 9007 Ultra Whites, , Bilsteins, 4in. MKO turbo back, DP TUNER, Isspro gauges, John Woods Trans, 168,000 miles
Old 10-11-2009, 08:41 PM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserClass View Post
Wow. Those bellowed pipes appear to be rather pricey. I'll probably have this truck for most of eternity, but I drive it about 5k miles a year or less. I might go with the factory set up for the time being.

Didn't those bellowed pipes used to sell for $300 or so fairly recently? Ouch.
I put the factory stuff back on the first time I did this. New donuts pipes, flanges, bolts, and all. I even put a new Y collector on too due to a broken bolt I couldn't get out. 1 1/2 yrs later I was putting on the bellowed uppipes when I was installing my 38R. The factory pipes were already eroded at the donuts and leaking. I won't have to worry about that anymore.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 10-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior User

Finally got around to looking at it today and I got off cheap. Looks like it was just the clamps had stretched and were leaking at the Y tube that goes to the turbo cooler. Tightened them up and cleaned up the soot, then drove around a bit and it seemed to fix the proble. I'll see if the soot comes back, but way better than having to mess with the up pipes.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2003, 2004, 60, 73, cab, diamond, diesel, exhaust, eye, f250, ford, fumes, powerstroke, smell, truck