Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Transmission Filter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/880179-transmission-filter.html)

rocky1074 08-28-2009 06:22 PM

Transmission Filter

I have a Ford F-350 Super Duty Pickup V8 6.0 Fuel Injected Turbo Diesel . I am planning to change the fluid and filter. I know it has a FT-145 External Filter. Is there Also a in pan filter????. I don't want to drop the pan if there is no filter there, being it has a drain plug. Thanks, mrrocky@wildblue.net

bpounds 08-28-2009 06:24 PM

No need to drop the pan. The internal filter is only a screen.

rocky1074 08-28-2009 06:36 PM

Ok Thanks for the info...Will make the job easy. I really didn't want to drop the pan..

bpounds 08-28-2009 06:40 PM

No problem. Just be aware that you will only drain about 7-8 quarts, and the system holds 17, so what you are doing will be changing about 1/2 of the fluid. The TC does not have a drain plug. To do a proper flush requires a heated machine at the dealership.

I assume you already know that you MUST use Motorcraft SP fluid - there are no suitable substitutes.

rocky1074 08-28-2009 06:45 PM

Yes I know. I have the Motorcraft Mercon SP fluid on hand.. Thanks again for your help!!

EXv10 08-28-2009 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by rocky1074 (Post 7878591)
Yes I know. I have the Motorcraft Mercon SP fluid on hand.. Thanks again for your help!!

A rag will take that off. :-X05

rocky1074 08-28-2009 09:14 PM

I didn't mean I had fluid on my hands. I had the fluid in stock!!!!!! TO USE!!!!!

satwood 06-29-2010 05:06 PM

External Trans Filter Removal

Guys,

This will be my first transmission fluid change since I bought my 2003 F350 last fall. From searching dealer records I can't tell if the fluid was ever changed before. It's got just over 50K original miles. I tried last weekend to loosen the external filter housing and all I managed to do is bend the mounting bracket with the bar and socket. It seems very flimsy. What's the trick for getting that loose?

Also, to confirm I'm going to do this right:
1) I do not need to remove the pan, just drain from the plug. It's the 5 speed with tow/haul on the column
2) Change the external filter and install the new motorcraft filter I bought (white roll of cloth-like thing)
3) Install 7 - 9 quarts of Mercon SP or LV. I need to check but I think the dealer sold me LV. I will make sure it is not V.
4) Repeat in about 10K miles because I'm way behind the 30K change interval.

Anything else I should know to do this right?

Thanks much
Steve

bpounds 06-29-2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by satwood (Post 9056112)
Guys,

This will be my first transmission fluid change since I bought my 2003 F350 last fall. From searching dealer records I can't tell if the fluid was ever changed before. It's got just over 50K original miles. I tried last weekend to loosen the external filter housing and all I managed to do is bend the mounting bracket with the bar and socket. It seems very flimsy. What's the trick for getting that loose?

Also, to confirm I'm going to do this right:
1) I do not need to remove the pan, just drain from the plug. It's the 5 speed with tow/haul on the column
2) Change the external filter and install the new motorcraft filter I bought (white roll of cloth-like thing)
3) Install 7 - 9 quarts of Mercon SP or LV. I need to check but I think the dealer sold me LV. I will make sure it is not V.
4) Repeat in about 10K miles because I'm way behind the 30K change interval.

Anything else I should know to do this right?

Thanks much
Steve

A quick shot with an impact wrench is the best way to loosen the filter housing. If you don't have that, then a quick smack with a BFH on your wrench might work.

No need to drop the pan. There is nothing but a screen inside.

You have a Torqshift 5R110.

SP has been superceded by LV, so that's probably all the dealer can get you. Just make sure it is LV and not V, and you should be good.

I would recommend you forget all that and have the dealer do a complete hot flush. But if you insist, the above is about all you can do in the driveway. Repeat every 10 or 15k sounds reasonable. Unless the truck has hauled heavy a lot, I would not be too concerned about being late on the service. These are usually a very stout tran's.

TennesseeMustangPerf 06-29-2010 07:18 PM

Actually, I had recently had to drop the pan due to a crappy tranny sending unit snapping off, and replaced the filter as well. There is a filter that presses into place that can only be removed by dropping the pan down.

5.4f250sd 06-30-2010 08:01 PM

I just got done doing this and I replace both the inside screen and the toilet paper. My screen did have some larger particals on it but I am a little anal. My truck also came from 1500 miles from home and I knew nothing about the trucks prier history and it has 100k on the ticker. Good luck bud. Nothing to it.

Furian 07-01-2010 05:34 AM

The 2008-2010 Super Duties have a smaller partical sized internal filter that you can use for better cleaning of the ATF. However, you will need to replace the transmission pan because the newer filter is wider than the original internal filter.

Part# 8c3z7a098d - $40.86 each from Ed's.