Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Frozen Driver and passender windows (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/808369-frozen-driver-and-passender-windows.html)

hjsimpson 01-05-2009 09:04 AM

Frozen Driver and passender windows

Hey Folks,

I was wondering if anyone was having a similar issue with frozen driver and passenger side windows due to frigid temps even after a 20 minute warmup with the heat on. I can hear the motor trying to open the window but it just doesn't

It's happened 3 times in the past month.

They eventually free up but its pain in the butt when you need to show your badge to base security.

gristanv 01-05-2009 11:29 AM

Yes, I have the same problem on my 2007 EB.

berry1234 01-05-2009 11:50 AM

They probably used an inferior grease that hardens at low temps. Take it back.

gpfarrell 01-05-2009 08:27 PM

Is the glass freezing to weatherstripping or is the mechanism binding?

I'd bet it's the glass. Try spraying silicon on every edge of the weatherstripping that touches the glass and you'll probably be fine.

I used to wash cars (for $) outside all winter long. If I siloconed the weather stripping nothing ever froze shut.

YoGeorge 01-05-2009 09:34 PM

Yup, lube the weatherstrip...

Originally Posted by gpfarrell (Post 6972734)
Is the glass freezing to weatherstripping or is the mechanism binding?

I'd bet it's the glass. Try spraying silicon on every edge of the weatherstripping that touches the glass and you'll probably be fine.

I used to wash cars (for $) outside all winter long. If I siloconed the weather stripping nothing ever froze shut.

Saw this post earlier and gpfarrell beat me to the answer.

Lube the weatherstripping with silicone spray and they won't freeze shut. Might smear the glass a bit, but they'll open.

You'd have to fill the door full of water to freeze the regulator mechanism.

George

berry1234 01-06-2009 10:31 AM

Easy test. Pour some luke warm water on the window where it meets the seal. If it helps, its the seal, if not its the motor.

tirnaog 01-07-2009 08:58 AM

Aye this has happened to me too.
That silicone spray, can be found at local car stores?

YoGeorge 01-07-2009 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by tirnaog (Post 6979123)
Aye this has happened to me too.
That silicone spray, can be found at local car stores?

Sure, it should be easy to find at any auto parts or hardware store...it's quite common and otherwise useful around the house.

In addition to the window weatherstripping, a bit on the door weatherstripping can help if your doors tend to stick shut when icy. For the door weatherstrip, I'll just spray some on a rag and do a wipe around the perimeter.

Another great use is to spray your snow shovel and the chute of your snowblower with it--that sticky wet snow won't stick as badly.

George

flyboy5111 01-14-2009 06:36 PM

Mine does the same. The motors seem weak. My 04 F150 never did this.

Bopper 01-23-2009 02:48 PM

Mine is 2 days old and they seem weak. Yes, it has been cold though.