Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Biodiesel Roll Call (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/754977-biodiesel-roll-call.html)

fabmandelux 07-01-2008 09:28 PM

Biodiesel Roll Call

I've been wondering what the stats are for our bio forum. Do you make bio? would you like to? Use straight veggie oil, Waste motor oil, Blends? Try the Poll and let's see where it takes us. :)

adambomb 07-01-2008 10:28 PM

i use biodiesel when i can find it and would like to convert to veggie oil.

monsterbaby 07-01-2008 10:32 PM

Don I think it's a good idea to see where everyone is, I voted but seems so far it's just me LOL.

adambomb 07-01-2008 10:57 PM

i think it is a good idea too. i would of voted but i didn't fit in any of the choices. at least i don't think i do...

tradergem 07-02-2008 12:02 AM

I personally would like to make my own biodiesel as soon as I can make it happen. Maybe in a couple of months I will have the time for it.

Jim

empiretc 07-02-2008 12:55 AM

i read and read and read some more. BIO was the only logical route to take. It's almost a second job collecting oil, but well worth it! My truck really seems to like the BIO. Been running almost 100%.

fabmandelux 07-02-2008 07:13 AM

Doh! I made the poll, and forgot to vote myself! I should of added another choice for buying commercial bio.............:confused:

Oregon-Mike 07-02-2008 08:46 AM

I didn't vote because I'm a "none of the above" anymore. I buy b100 when it's warm and use it. 50¢ kickback on my state taxes doesn't hurt that either :) At one point I was hoping to set up a small processing plant at home but I've decided against it. The oil is harder & harder to come by here in Eugene. I do have about 60 gallons in my garage that I need to get filtered out & start blending in my tanks this summer.

After that I'm going to use my filtering setup for WMO instead. I think for the near foreseeable future that's going to be easier to come by than used veggie oil. My truck is not a daily driver, it only gets used when we need to pack the horse someplace for a show/camping etc. or for fence work/yard work & that kind of thing.

There's only one place in Eugene (retail anyway, I'm NOT getting a gas/fuel credit card) to get bio at all. It's fairly convenient if I drive the truck to work, not so much otherwise.

Mike

fabmandelux 07-02-2008 09:02 AM

Good to see you in the bio forum, sorry to hear about the lack of oil there. It's just going to get worse, people are stealing oil from others, just a matter of time till some idiot shoots someone!

:-offtopic I just took on the CL for the Oregon Chapter. How about posting in there some? I'd like to get this chapter moving. After the breakup of the old chapter we haven't had a chapter leader. The Washington Chapter is doing very well now, and I think it's time we do too!

Now back to our regular programming...............

empiretc 07-02-2008 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux (Post 6307706)
Doh! I made the poll, and forgot to vote myself! I should of added another choice for buying commercial bio.............:confused:

What type of blend do you mean? WVO/SVO blend or #2+bio blend?

zhilton 07-02-2008 10:04 AM

The same goes to for me, I don't make my own; but do my part by buying retail bio when I can find it. B20 is usually what I'm burning because the only place within 50 miles of my house only sells B20. With the hot weather here...I'd really like to find some B50 (or higher) to burn.

TXHillCountry 07-02-2008 10:28 AM

I voted for "I make biodiesel", although it's a little premature.

We have a BioPro 190 on order, and our facility is ready to go. We are currently collecting wast VO from a variety of restaurants.

TX

tazo 07-02-2008 12:02 PM

So I will vote here for buying commercial Bio. Just don't have the time to make it myself. I would rather spend the time with my family and horses. But there maybe sometime in the future to make it myself if my values change. I just filled my tank up yesterday $165 OUCH! And that was for B100 and one weeks worth of fuel.

monsterbaby 07-02-2008 12:17 PM

I think that first choice maybe should be I make and/or use bio

fabmandelux 07-02-2008 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by monsterbaby (Post 6308532)
I think that first choice maybe should be I make and/or use bio

Ya, I know Rob. This was my first Poll, and I screwed up:eek: I'll try harder next time...........:confused:

monsterbaby 07-02-2008 12:42 PM

heck I don't try to do polls LOL. holler at cookie he might be able to edit that one for ya.

CheaperJeeper 07-02-2008 04:15 PM

For my Mercedes:
I am currently blending SVO
I'm in the process of converting it to run on 100% SVO/WVO
I'd like to make bio, but don't have the space & my wife is against the idea
A buddy is set up to make it if I can get the WVO, but that is beginning to look almost impossible

For my F250
I'm currently running bio-blend
I and am considering a veggie conversion (it all depends on how well my design works on the old Mercedes)

I've also been collecting WMO and parts I need for a very simple gravity filtering setup so I can add it a couple of gallons at a time to each tank of fuel (10% blend).

cookie88 07-02-2008 08:51 PM

No worries. I added "I purchase retail biodiesel" to your poll and voted for it :)

fabmandelux 07-02-2008 09:38 PM

Thanks Scott! :-bigparty

empiretc 07-02-2008 11:14 PM

these results are going to be interesting- so long as everyone is honest, lol.

i ran into someone today who told me he was running "bio". after a short conversation, i found out he was using diesel secret, DOH!

tazo 07-03-2008 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by cookie88 (Post 6310170)
No worries. I added "I purchase retail biodiesel" to your poll and voted for it :)

Thanks. I now am able to vote. The American way! I don't know if it is considered buying retail, I buy from a few places that you need to be a BUG (biodiesel user groups) member. That is the only way to get B100 in California.

jeep1947 07-05-2008 10:28 AM

Been making it for over a year under Don's mentoring. Started out blending and then started doing it the right way. Me and my 2 partners make about 100 gallons/week now as long as we can keep getting our oil we will be ok. Have contracts with 2 restaurants, 1 hospital, a nursing home and working to get more small grocery/deli type operations. Jeep 1947

fabmandelux 07-17-2008 07:33 AM

Bump to top. Looks like we have some new people to take the poll!

Royson12 07-17-2008 05:57 PM

I just started using bio, I use B100. I bought it for 4.459 a gallon here in Fort Worth. I was pondering on making bio, but you cant get used oil around here. I asked around a few places, they wanted me to buy it. What would be a fair price? With ethonal prices and oil costing, about how much does it cost to make a gallon start to finish? I like the stuff so far, dino is 4.79+ around here, Yipes!:)

Knotwild 07-19-2008 11:29 AM

Biodiesel Maker, User

I am making biodiesel since the middle of may. So far, the truck and I both love it. I have run about 6000 miles on it so far and I am checking the engine health with Blackstone oil reports. I also dry wash with Magnesol and I am having great success with that process.

h2odrx 07-27-2008 02:17 PM

Been messing with bio for 3 years now, started to mix, working on conversion!

Fullcrew7.3 07-27-2008 10:25 PM

Been making and running B100 for the last 3 years. Only doing it in the warm months so far. Still working on the jacketed fuel lines and heated tank for the winter months. The old girl sure likes the stuff.

Sheepman 07-29-2008 10:20 AM

I am new here. I am a farmer and am making my own bio for use in my farm equipment. I do have a 99 F350 7.3 and will start running B20 this week. I eventually want to run B100 during the summer and whatever I can get away with in the winter. I am located in central massachusetts and we have some fairly cold winters. Has anyone tried the anti-gelling things that are coming to the market? What about long term use of B100 in my 7.3 diesel?

h2odrx 07-29-2008 05:01 PM

Power service works good!

Cold flow test.

mackman 07-29-2008 06:18 PM

I plan on going with bio and am asking around for used VO It is tuff to find most places want to sell it.As far as buying bio I would but only place I found wants more then diesel.So for now still dreaming

fabmandelux 07-29-2008 06:30 PM

Well, I'm impressed with the number of people who make and use there own bio (24) but there are a bunch that want to start making there own. What about it guys......Let's see if we can help these people get started! Anyone that voted to start making bio should start threads to gather as much info as you can. I'm sure that all us that do will help YOU get started!:-drink

deereman4020 07-29-2008 08:14 PM

i want to make my own bio and run it in my truck and we do use a blend of bio 5% for our tractors
heres something i found in news at the johndeere home page
29 Jul 08 - A recent nationwide survey conducted by the United Soybean Board (USB) and soybean checkoff revealed that U.S. consumers strongly back U.S. soybean farmers and biodiesel.

The "National Agriculture Image Survey" indicated 82 percent of consumers agree foreign oil-producing countries and the high cost of fuel impacting farming and processing, packaging, storing and shipping food are to blame for food price increases, not U.S. farmers.
Other key findings show:

- 77 percent of consumers favor the use of biodiesel as a source of energy that can meet our needs in the next 5 to 10 years.

- 74 percent of consumers were more favorable toward biodiesel after hearing it benefits the environment.

- 70 percent of consumers were more favorable toward biodiesel after hearing it's a new green industry that creates jobs.

Sheepman 07-30-2008 08:09 AM

Thanks for the info. I experience a couple of months of temps 10 F below zero here in New England. I have seen some data about a product named Wintron(?) and am going to run some tests similar to yours. I will post the results later this summer. Thanks again.

juneau76 08-24-2008 11:14 AM

Nice job on the tests h2odrx. That's good stuff right there. Thanks.

h2odrx 08-24-2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by juneau76 (Post 6477964)
Nice job on the tests h2odrx. That's good stuff right there. Thanks.

Thanks but those were done by someone else. Don at Piedmont Biofuels, I just wanted to share!:-drink

AndysFords 09-04-2008 11:18 PM

I make bio, run SVO, and run blends, depending on weather, time, and what vehicle its going in. I seem to be doing good so far with WVO/Kerosene blend.

CheaperJeeper 09-08-2008 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux (Post 6398510)
Well, I'm impressed with the number of people who make and use there own bio (24) but there are a bunch that want to start making there own. What about it guys......Let's see if we can help these people get started! Anyone that voted to start making bio should start threads to gather as much info as you can. I'm sure that all us that do will help YOU get started!:-drink

I'm a blender right now, but I would dearly LOVE to start making bio. I even have a buddy who is all set up and cookin' about 70 miles away.

Only one obstacle. OIL. I can't seem to get any. I've even gone so far as to make flyers and distribute them to a few dozen local restaurants offering a buck a gallon for WVO!.

NO TAKERS. Looks like the renderers have all the oil locked up tight in my area. Now if there is some way you could help me out with that, then I'd REALLY be grateful!

BTW, what I'm blending is SVO that I paid almost $3 a gallon for. I could convert that into bio, but by the time I did, the cost would be equal to commercial bio (I can get bio in bulk for $4.25 a gallon right now). and I would have put all the time & effort into producing it and dealing with glycerol disposal, etc. Since the SVO doesn't require anything but mixing 15%-20% with RUG, and then adding the blend to my tank 50/50 with regular #2, it doesn't make sense to make bio out of it - that would actually cost me more money AND the extra time & effort...

ms1780 09-14-2008 09:04 PM

I use straight veggie oil in my 97 psd crew cab. My truck loves the stuff. I had a friend who put a kit on a 83 mercedes and took a lot of crap, for me include. After a few month of his savings, I couldn't resist. I ordered a kit and installed it myself. I have added a hundred gallon farm tank to replace the 40gal. tank that came with the kit. On average i get about 70 to 80mpg on the diesel I do burn in the summer and about 50 in the winter. It takes longer for the truck to warm up in the winter and I let it get a little warmer also. I put a TW chip in this summer with a high idle setting so I can warm it up in the driveway this winter. Our oil had been getting stollen all summer this year and we took a 300 gal. farm fuel tank and cut it in half. then we stood it up on end and welde a heavy top with a lockable hole for entry. I can post some pics if someone would like to see them. I love the wvo over the biodiesel. It is much easier and saves me a ton.

CarinaR 12-07-2008 10:08 AM

I'm pretty new to biofuels. I just bought a 1985 E350 with a 6.9L and C6 auto trans. I have 2 fuel tanks, so have been running a diesel/WVO mix in one and warming up/shutting down on diesel. I am planning to make some modifications so I can just run straight WVO, but I am still in the learning process. Since it's nice and warm in NOLA, I can run pure WVO with no mods in the summer.
Oil is pretty easy to find...no one has really caught on down here in the backwards south, and they are always looking to make a buck, so are happy to fill a barrel for me.

TechEdFireman 01-16-2009 12:59 PM

I started making my own Bio last March, made about 300 gallons. Stopped making it when school started back up in September. I have about 400 gallons of oil waiting to be made. The building I make it in is not heated so it's not feasible to make it when the temp. starts to drop. My '05 lost a little power, but for about a $1 a gallon not including the time collecting, filtering, seperating its nothing to complain about. My students think its pretty neat that my truck smells like fries. All my glycerin is/will be made into soap. I have made a few batches and it will take anything out of clothes and clean just about anything around the house and garage.